|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Southern Italian peasants immigrated to America between 1880 and 1920?
2. What word did Rodrigo pick out in the word definition exercise Mike did with his students?
3. Who taught the Mike's college course on Shakespeare?
4. What did Mike's parents want him to become when he grew up?
5. Who created the literacy club that Mike joined in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mike describe the Goddess of Grammar?
2. How did Mike describe Mr. Wilson?
3. In school, how did Mike defend himself against things he couldn't understand?
4. How did the students Mike worked with feel about the standardized tests?
5. What did Mike learn in the Philosophy of Man class?
6. What did Mike say happened when students received extrinsic rewards?
7. What type of school was Loyola when Mike attended in the early sixties?
8. Why did Mike say that he wrote "Lives on the Boundary"?
9. What lesson did Mike design to help his students better understand vocabulary?
10. What did Mike do to make money while at UCLA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the focus placed on test results and how it affected students' placement in school. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Mike believed led to a student's school success. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the methods that Mike used to teach his students in El Monte. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)