|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did John pay to rent his apartment in 1962?
2. Which student's parents were alcoholics?
3. What course did Mike take in his second semester at college?
4. What were Nopales?
5. Who lived with Mike when he was seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mike say that he wrote "Lives on the Boundary"?
2. What lesson did Mike design to help his students better understand vocabulary?
3. What did Mike do with his student's writings?
4. What did Mike do to make money while at UCLA?
5. How did Mike describe Mr. Wilson?
6. What did Mike mean when he said the classroom could be filled with possibility?
7. How did Mike describe Dr. Gunner as a teacher?
8. What type of school was Loyola when Mike attended in the early sixties?
9. How did Mike describe Professor Gullans?
10. What did Mike remember most about his childhood school days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes that occurred in methods for teaching English and grammar from the early twentieth century to the mid twentieth century. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mike's time at Loyola both helped and hindered him at UCLA. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what experiences led Mike to become a teacher. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)