|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mike who initiated counter literature?
(a) John Labov.
(b) William Labov.
(c) Ray Labov.
(d) Steve Labov.
2. What did Mike say made Harold stupid?
(a) His lack of interest.
(b) His educational defect.
(c) His longing.
(d) His psychological issues.
3. What did Mike's increased work in the Tutorial Center force him to participate in?
(a) Public speaking.
(d) Policy making.
4. What was Robert Cole looking for in his investigations of childhood morality?
5. What did Mike do most of his first year at UCLA?
(b) Develope curriculum.
(c) Help students.
(d) Creat a training program.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building on the UCLA campus housed the Tutorial Center?
2. What did Mike say was a disturbing tendency among educators in his time?
3. Primarily, what type of high school student did Mike work with at UCLA?
4. According to Mike, what was the focus of twentieth century writing curriculum?
5. According to Mike, when did American colleges start using preparatory courses?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mike, what should be the focus of new college students?
2. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
3. Why did Mike say educators viewed the poor as being different?
4. Why did Mike feel summarizing was a crucial skill?
5. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
6. Why did Mike say that teachers in some neighborhoods were unable to do anything for their students?
7. Why did Mike think Harold's favorite song was "My Boyfriend's Back" by the Angels.
8. In what way did Mike believe the education system required too much from their schools?
9. According to Mike, how did nineteenth century educators view their mission to help the poor?
10. How did Mike feel the educators of his time viewed helping the poor?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)