|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mike buy to read as a child?
2. What building on the UCLA campus housed the Tutorial Center?
(a) Campbell Hall.
(b) Edwardian Hall.
(c) Johnson Hall.
(d) Tudor Hall.
3. Why wouldn't Millie identify the word imagined?
(a) She couldn't understand it.
(b) She was scared of it.
(c) She found it too difficult.
(d) She didn't want too.
4. According to Mike who initiated counter literature?
(a) Ray Labov.
(b) Steve Labov.
(c) John Labov.
(d) William Labov.
5. How did Mike define remedial?
(c) Run of the mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men involved in the program say about themselves in high school?
2. Who wrote that "Teaching bears a resemblance to the practice of medicine"?
3. What did Mike say was the most enjoyable program they set up during their time in El Monte?
4. Who said "It is what we are excited about that educates us"?
5. What was Robert Cole looking for in his investigations of childhood morality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
2. According to Mike, turn-of-the-century English education was based on what?
3. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
4. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
5. Why did Mike say educators viewed the poor as being different?
6. What did Mike's work in the Veterans Program help him to do in his life?
7. What did Mike say was the base of twentieth century English education?
8. Why did Mike feel men joined the Veterans Program?
9. How did Mike feel the educators of his time viewed helping the poor?
10. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)