|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of Mike's was Concepcion Baca in?
(a) European Literature.
(b) American Literature.
(c) Comparative Literature.
(d) Historical Literature.
2. Primarily, what type of high school student did Mike work with at UCLA?
(c) High average.
3. What literature course did Mike teach during his time with the Veterans' Program?
(a) Introductory Humanities.
(b) Introductory Grammar.
(c) Advanced Humanities.
(d) Advanced Grammar.
4. What type of course did Mike want to develop for his students in the Veterans Program?
(a) A course on past experience.
(b) A course on thought.
(c) A course on how to write better.
(d) A course to improve their lives.
5. According to Mike, what was the focus of twentieth century writing curriculum?
(b) Usage, grammar, and mechanics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Harold's fourth grade teacher's recommendation for him?
2. What was the purpose of the Writing Research Project?
3. What building on the UCLA campus housed the Tutorial Center?
4. What rank was Andrea in her high school class?
5. Where did Andrea immigrate from?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mike, what should be the focus of new college students?
2. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
3. What did Mike say was the base of twentieth century English education?
4. What did Arthur do when he went mad?
5. What did Mike believe caused Suzanne to write sentence fragments?
6. Why did Mike think Harold's favorite song was "My Boyfriend's Back" by the Angels.
7. Why did Mike say that teachers in some neighborhoods were unable to do anything for their students?
8. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
9. What did Mike's work in the Veterans Program help him to do in his life?
10. What did Mike discover about Harold as a student?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)