|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of course did students take in the Freshman Summer Program?
2. What was the Spanish word for a bass guitar with six strings?
(a) Bajo Sexto.
3. According to Mike, what was the curriculum at UCLA not doing?
(a) Increasing abilities.
(b) Addressing weaknesses.
(c) Preparing students for the future.
(d) Helping students learn new things.
4. What did the English Department in Ohio want?
(a) To develop a new curriculum.
(b) To increase basic instruction.
(c) To get away from basic instruction.
(d) To enhance the current curriculum.
5. What did Mike say new college students had limited exposure to?
(a) Large groups of people.
(b) Strong study skills.
(c) A good grasp of grammar.
(d) Certain kinds of reading and writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Robert Cole looking for in his investigations of childhood morality?
2. What was the purpose of the Writing Research Project?
3. What did Mike give Jack to read?
4. What word did Mike use referring to the lively UCLA building where he worked?
5. According to Mike, what was the focus of twentieth century writing curriculum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike believe caused Suzanne to write sentence fragments?
2. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
3. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
4. Why did Mike think Harold's favorite song was "My Boyfriend's Back" by the Angels.
5. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
6. What struck Mike most about people struggling to learn?
7. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
8. What did Mike's work in the Veterans Program help him to do in his life?
9. What did Arthur do when he went mad?
10. How did Mike help Millie on the word comprehension test?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)