|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mike give Jack to read?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) The Great Gatsby.
(d) All Our Kin.
2. How did Harold place in on his first grade reading readiness test?
(a) Low average.
(b) High average.
3. What building on the UCLA campus housed the Tutorial Center?
(a) Campbell Hall.
(b) Johnson Hall.
(c) Edwardian Hall.
(d) Tudor Hall.
4. Where did Mike say he did his most unusual teaching?
(a) Learning Line.
(b) El Monte.
(c) Veterans Program.
5. What word did Mike use referring to the lively UCLA building where he worked?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Writing Research Project?
2. What literature course did Mike teach during his time with the Veterans' Program?
3. Two months into his tutoring at his new job, who offered Mike a full time job?
4. How long was the Freshman Summer Program?
5. What did Mike believe that his students needed to be immersed in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mike say that teachers in some neighborhoods were unable to do anything for their students?
2. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
3. What did Mike struggle with when writing the procedures he used in his dissertation?
4. Why did Mike feel summarizing was a crucial skill?
5. What struck Mike most about people struggling to learn?
6. What did Mike say was the link between students' backgrounds and their success or failure in college?
7. What was Jerry Williams' reaction when he was told he couldn't take the final exam?
8. How did Mike feel the educators of his time viewed helping the poor?
9. What did Arthur do when he went mad?
10. What did Mike say students needed to be able to succeed in college?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)