|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of course did Mike want to develop for his students in the Veterans Program?
(a) A course on past experience.
(b) A course on how to write better.
(c) A course on thought.
(d) A course to improve their lives.
2. What kind of problem did the ophthalmologist say Harold had?
(b) Lack of interest.
3. What did Mike's increased work in the Tutorial Center force him to participate in?
(a) Public speaking.
(b) Policy making.
4. How did Mike define remedial?
(b) Run of the mill.
5. How old was Andrea when she moved to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that students "had been hurt about their intelligence"?
2. What did the men involved in the program say about themselves in high school?
3. When did the Los Angeles Times write "A Drop in Student Skills Unequaled in History"?
4. What did Mike say made Harold stupid?
5. According to Mike how did educators in the 1930s view literary problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mike, turn-of-the-century English education was based on what?
2. What did Mike believe caused Suzanne to write sentence fragments?
3. According to Mike, what should be the focus of new college students?
4. What did Mike say was the irony of testing students?
5. In what way did Mike believe the education system required too much from their schools?
6. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
7. What struck Mike most about people struggling to learn?
8. What did Arthur do when he went mad?
9. What was Jerry Williams' reaction when he was told he couldn't take the final exam?
10. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)