|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jerry Williams addicted to?
(c) A prescription drug.
(d) An illegal drug.
2. Students with backgrounds like Mike, froze up when confronted with what?
(a) Writing exercises.
(b) Difficult reading.
(c) Grammar exercises..
(d) Fine literature.
3. What was the title of Harold's favorite song?
(a) My Boyfriend is Leaving Me.
(b) I'm Leaving My Boyfriend.
(c) My Boyfriend's Back.
(d) I'm Going Back to My Boyfriend.
4. Where did Andrea immigrate from?
(d) El Salvador.
5. How old was Andrea when she moved to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mike, when did American colleges start using preparatory courses?
2. Who said that students "had been hurt about their intelligence"?
3. Who said "It is what we are excited about that educates us"?
4. Primarily, what type of high school student did Mike work with at UCLA?
5. What did Mike say that turn-of-the-century English education was built on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike say was the irony of testing students?
2. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
3. What did Arthur do when he went mad?
4. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
5. According to Mike, turn-of-the-century English education was based on what?
6. What did Mike's work in the Veterans Program help him to do in his life?
7. How did Mike use poems and songs to teach language to the veterans?
8. What did Mike discover about Harold as a student?
9. What did Mike struggle with when writing the procedures he used in his dissertation?
10. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)