|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mike buy to read as a child?
2. How old was Andrea when she moved to America?
3. What class of Mike's was Concepcion Baca in?
(a) American Literature.
(b) Comparative Literature.
(c) European Literature.
(d) Historical Literature.
4. What did Mike suggest Suzette use to avoid repetition in her writing?
(a) A grammar checker.
(b) The tutor center.
(c) A different approach.
(d) Syntactic Maneuvers.
5. What did Mike say was typically the origin of a failed education?
(a) Poor teachers.
(b) Inattentive students.
(c) Social issues.
(d) Inadequate curriculum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said "It is what we are excited about that educates us"?
2. How long was the Freshman Summer Program?
3. Who said that they wouldn't understand the logic of error?
4. What did Mike say was the most enjoyable program they set up during their time in El Monte?
5. Two months into his tutoring at his new job, who offered Mike a full time job?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mike, turn-of-the-century English education was based on what?
2. Why did Mike feel men joined the Veterans Program?
3. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
4. What did Mike say students needed to be able to succeed in college?
5. Why did Harold feel alone?
6. What struck Mike most about people struggling to learn?
7. Why did Mike say that teachers in some neighborhoods were unable to do anything for their students?
8. Why did Mike think Harold's favorite song was "My Boyfriend's Back" by the Angels.
9. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
10. What did Mike say was the base of twentieth century English education?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)