|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Mike say was a special kind of student?
(a) Jack Cheney.
(b) Alex Hutchinson.
(c) Jerry Williams.
(d) Jon Stevens.
2. According to Mike, what was the curriculum at UCLA not doing?
(a) Helping students learn new things.
(b) Addressing weaknesses.
(c) Increasing abilities.
(d) Preparing students for the future.
3. How did Mike define remedial?
(c) Run of the mill.
4. What did Mike's increased work in the Tutorial Center force him to participate in?
(b) Public speaking.
(c) Policy making.
5. Who said that correctness was the era's "most significant measure of accomplished prose"?
(a) Steve Berlin.
(b) James Berlin.
(c) Michael Berlin.
(d) John Berlin.
6. What was the Spanish word for a bass guitar with six strings?
(a) Bajo Sexto.
7. How did Jerry Williams act with the other veterans?
8. What was the title of Harold's favorite song?
(a) My Boyfriend's Back.
(b) I'm Leaving My Boyfriend.
(c) My Boyfriend is Leaving Me.
(d) I'm Going Back to My Boyfriend.
9. What was the name of the other counselor in the Veterans Program?
(a) Michael Ash.
(b) John Ash.
(c) Stephen Ash.
(d) Shulamite Ash.
10. What did Mike say was a disturbing tendency among educators in his time?
(a) The poor were not given opportunities to succeed.
(b) The poor were not able to understand.
(c) The poor were viewed as remedial.
(d) The poor were viewed as different.
11. What type of writer was Jerry Williams?
12. When did the Los Angeles Times write "A Drop in Student Skills Unequaled in History"?
(a) Spring 1976.
(b) Summer 1976.
(c) Fall 1976.
(d) Winter 1976.
13. What did Mike choose as the subject of his curriculum in the Veteran's Program?
(a) Family life.
(b) Personal demons.
(d) War experiences.
14. According to Mike what deterred students from writing?
(a) Boring curriculum.
(b) Remedial curriculum.
(c) Easy curriculum.
(d) Hard curriculum.
15. What did Mike say new college students had limited exposure to?
(a) Certain kinds of reading and writing.
(b) A good grasp of grammar.
(c) Large groups of people.
(d) Strong study skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of course did students take in the Freshman Summer Program?
2. Who wrote "Remedial Cases in Reading"?
3. What color was Mrs. Morton's hair?
4. What did Mike say that the Veteran's program enabled him to do?
5. What did Mike buy to read as a child?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)