|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mike, when did American colleges start using preparatory courses?
(a) Late 1800's.
(b) Mid 1800's.
(c) Early 1900's .
(d) Early 1800's.
2. Who cautioned against psychological labeling?
3. What was the purpose of the Writing Research Project?
(a) To increase the writing abilities of students at Loyola.
(b) To study how writing was taught at UCLA.
(c) To study how writing was taught at Loyola.
(d) To increse the writing abilities of students at UCLA.
4. What did Mike buy to read as a child?
5. What skill did Mike believe was critical?
(a) Good writing skills.
(c) An ability to discuss the past.
6. What color was Mrs. Morton's hair?
(a) Brown and gray.
7. According to Mike what was task representation?
(a) The way a problem was depicted in the mind.
(b) The way a person looked at a problem.
(c) The approach a person took in solving a problem.
(d) The way a problem was depicted in text.
8. Students with backgrounds like Mike, froze up when confronted with what?
(a) Writing exercises.
(b) Fine literature.
(c) Grammar exercises..
(d) Difficult reading.
9. What did Mike say that the Veteran's program enabled him to do?
(a) Relate to students.
(b) Come into his own as a teacher.
(c) Increase his self confidence.
(d) Become a better public speaker.
10. Why wouldn't Millie identify the word imagined?
(a) She couldn't understand it.
(b) She was scared of it.
(c) She found it too difficult.
(d) She didn't want too.
11. According to Mike what deterred students from writing?
(a) Boring curriculum.
(b) Easy curriculum.
(c) Remedial curriculum.
(d) Hard curriculum.
12. What did Mike say was typically the origin of a failed education?
(a) Inadequate curriculum.
(b) Social issues.
(c) Poor teachers.
(d) Inattentive students.
13. Where did Mike go to learn more about counseling?
(a) The Prevention Program.
(b) The Suicide Prevention Center.
(c) Counseling Program.
(d) The Suicide Counseling Center.
14. What did Mike say was a disturbing tendency among educators in his time?
(a) The poor were not able to understand.
(b) The poor were viewed as remedial.
(c) The poor were viewed as different.
(d) The poor were not given opportunities to succeed.
15. What UCLA class gave Suzette trouble?
(a) Advanced English.
(b) Basic English.
(c) Advanced Grammar.
(d) Basic Grammar.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mike, what type of assessment of students was more legitimate?
2. What did the men involved in the program say about themselves in high school?
3. What did the English Department in Ohio want?
4. Who wrote that "Teaching bears a resemblance to the practice of medicine"?
5. What building on the UCLA campus housed the Tutorial Center?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)