|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Farris?
2. About whom does Del fantasize about sex?
3. The next morning Del awakens with ________________.
4. By the end of this section, Del is now ___________________.
5. What is the name of the family on whom Del bases her story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
2. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
3. How does Del delve into her love for words as she writes?
4. How does Del finally land a part in the operetta?
5. How does Del respond to Mr. Chamberlain's advances?
6. What is the nature of the foreshadowing presented in this chapter regarding Mr. Chamberlain?
7. Who is Art Chamberlain?
8. How does Del envision herself as a sexual person for the first time?
9. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
10. What becomes of Miss Farris and Mr. Boyce a few years after the operetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Del desperately wants to distinguish herself from her mother yet she is like her in many ways. Name some ways that Del is different from her mother as well as some ways that she is like her mother.
Essay Topic 2
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Uncle Benny. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Uncle Benny?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)