|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Art spend lots of time at Del's house?
2. Which of the following is not a reason that Del likes books so much?
3. What does Mr. Chamberlain send to Fern?
4. Del believes that if she had been born in ____________ she would have already received the answers to her sexual questions.
5. What is Del's profession now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
2. Explain the scenario of Mr. Chamberlain taking Del out to the country and his inappropriate behavior there.
3. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
4. How does Del respond to Mr. Chamberlain's advances?
5. Who is Art Chamberlain?
6. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
7. How does Del finally land a part in the operetta?
8. Why is Del unable to finish her story?
9. What happens to Mr. Chamberlain after his time with Del in the country that day?
10. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Del's refusal to look at Uncle Craig's dead body and her reticence to touch a dead cow are metaphors for Del's refusal to validate death. Explain what a metaphor is and why these examples support that definition. Can you cite any other examples of metaphors in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this story qualifies.
Essay Topic 3
Del loves to escape her world through reading and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the cycle of stories and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)