|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Mr. Chamberlain ask of Del?
2. What year of high school is Del in in this section?
3. What do Del and Naomi hope to see when they realize that Art is at Del's house?
4. What is Art Chamberlain's profession?
5. What does Naomi's mother's book not address regarding sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
2. What happens to Del after she and Naomi and their dates continue their evening at a hotel?
3. What story does the epilogue tell?
4. What is happening to Del in this section?
5. What happens each March at Del's school and who is in charge of it this year?
6. How does the cooperation necessary between cast mates alter the usual dynamic between the boys and girls in class?
7. What becomes of Miss Farris and Mr. Boyce a few years after the operetta?
8. What are the setting and premise of Del's story?
9. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
10. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell Del's story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Benny is not really Del's uncle but he has a huge role in her life. Explain the importance of Uncle Benny to Del. What does he supply for her that she cannot get from her real family?
Essay Topic 3
Del's story takes place in 1940s rural Canada. Project Del's character 70 years into the future. How different would she be if she were a 21st century character living in rural character? What would she be like if she were a 21st century character living in a metropolitan area?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)