|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Del and Naomi develop to communicate about the crushes they have on boys?
2. Who comes to this town in Del's novel?
3. Why does Art spend lots of time at Del's house?
4. Where does Del spend the night?
5. What does Del learn about Miss Farris three or four years after the operetta?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what events does Del base her story?
2. Why is Del unable to finish her story?
3. What happens to Del after she and Naomi and their dates continue their evening at a hotel?
4. What are Del's impressions of Naomi when she sees her at work one day?
5. What happens to Mr. Chamberlain after his time with Del in the country that day?
6. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
7. Who is Art Chamberlain?
8. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
9. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
10. How does Del delve into her love for words as she writes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Del, Ada, Owen, Mr. Jordan and Uncle Benny.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Del Jordan. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Del?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)