|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Art Chamberlain's profession?
2. What does Del change the family's name to in her story?
3. About whom does Del fantasize about sex?
4. What must the students participating in the operetta do during rehearsals?
5. What does Mr. Chamberlain send to Fern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Naomi when her father realizes she had been out all night drinking and carousing?
2. What story does the epilogue tell?
3. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
4. Explain the scenario of Mr. Chamberlain taking Del out to the country and his inappropriate behavior there.
5. How does Del delve into her love for words as she writes?
6. On what events does Del base her story?
7. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
8. Who is Frank Wales and what is Del's opinion of him?
9. What happens to Mr. Chamberlain after his time with Del in the country that day?
10. How does Del feel about Frank Wales after the operetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Del desperately wants to distinguish herself from her mother yet she is like her in many ways. Name some ways that Del is different from her mother as well as some ways that she is like her mother.
Essay Topic 2
Del loves to escape her world through reading and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the cycle of stories and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Address Del's search for meaning in her life through religion? Do you agree with her process of elimination? What do you think Del is trying to find? Does she find it? Explain.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)