|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Art unable to discuss about his trip to Florence?
2. What does Art do out of sight of the others in the room?
3. In what terms does Del not describe herself as she stands at the mirror?
4. Del believes that if she had been born in ____________ she would have already received the answers to her sexual questions.
5. Who comes to this town in Del's novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Del after she and Naomi and their dates continue their evening at a hotel?
2. Who is Art Chamberlain?
3. What becomes of Miss Farris and Mr. Boyce a few years after the operetta?
4. Why is Del unable to finish her story?
5. What happens each March at Del's school and who is in charge of it this year?
6. Explain how the night of the dance further drives a wedge in Del and Naomi's relationship.
7. How does Del respond to Mr. Chamberlain's advances?
8. How does Del feel about Frank Wales after the operetta?
9. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
10. How does Del finally land a part in the operetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Del loves to escape her world through reading and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the cycle of stories and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell Del's story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Uncle Benny. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Uncle Benny?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)