|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what terms does Del not describe herself as she stands at the mirror?
2. The epilogue tells the story of how Del __________________.
3. Who is Mr. Boyce?
4. What is happening to Del as this section opens?
5. On what part of her body does Art not touch Del?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Chamberlain after his time with Del in the country that day?
2. How does Del finally land a part in the operetta?
3. What becomes of Miss Farris and Mr. Boyce a few years after the operetta?
4. Explain how the night of the dance further drives a wedge in Del and Naomi's relationship.
5. How does Del feel about Frank Wales after the operetta?
6. What are Del's impressions of Naomi when she sees her at work one day?
7. What story does the epilogue tell?
8. How does Del delve into her love for words as she writes?
9. How does Del envision herself as a sexual person for the first time?
10. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell Del's story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the girls and women in Del's life. What role do they serve in her development? How does Del manage through the ups and downs with each of the girls and women in her life? What do they all have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Del, Ada, Owen, Mr. Jordan and Uncle Benny.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)