|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Del dance with at the dance?
2. Where does Del go when she gets drunk and disoriented at the hotel?
3. What is bothersome for Del about Miss Farris' death?
4. Which of the following is not what Del perceives about Naomi at her job?
5. By the end of this section, Del is now ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the cooperation necessary between cast mates alter the usual dynamic between the boys and girls in class?
2. What is the nature of the foreshadowing presented in this chapter regarding Mr. Chamberlain?
3. How does Del respond to Mr. Chamberlain's advances?
4. How does Del delve into her love for words as she writes?
5. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
6. Why is Del unable to finish her story?
7. How does Del envision herself as a sexual person for the first time?
8. Who is Art Chamberlain?
9. What is happening to Del in this section?
10. What happens to Mr. Chamberlain after his time with Del in the country that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Del's refusal to look at Uncle Craig's dead body and her reticence to touch a dead cow are metaphors for Del's refusal to validate death. Explain what a metaphor is and why these examples support that definition. Can you cite any other examples of metaphors in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Del's story takes place in 1940s rural Canada. Project Del's character 70 years into the future. How different would she be if she were a 21st century character living in rural character? What would she be like if she were a 21st century character living in a metropolitan area?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mr. Chamberlain. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? Does he have a personal code? What is his role within the novel?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)