|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to Del as this section opens?
2. Where does the photographer go in the town?
3. Who does Del dance with at the dance?
4. What is the name of the family on whom Del bases her story?
5. What is the beginning of the end of Del's friendship with Naomi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Del after she and Naomi and their dates continue their evening at a hotel?
2. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
3. Where is Del in her life in the epilogue?
4. Explain how the night of the dance further drives a wedge in Del and Naomi's relationship.
5. How does the cooperation necessary between cast mates alter the usual dynamic between the boys and girls in class?
6. Explain the scenario of Mr. Chamberlain taking Del out to the country and his inappropriate behavior there.
7. How does Del describe how the students are screened to participate in the operetta?
8. Who is Frank Wales and what is Del's opinion of him?
9. Who is Art Chamberlain?
10. How does Del feel about Frank Wales after the operetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting for the novel. Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the writer choose this setting?
Essay Topic 2
Del loves to escape her world through reading and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the cycle of stories and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell Del's story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)