|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Del change the family's name to in her story?
2. What does Art do out of sight of the others in the room?
3. What does Del say she and Naomi talk about every day?
4. Why does Art spend lots of time at Del's house?
5. Who is Mr. Boyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the night of the dance further drives a wedge in Del and Naomi's relationship.
2. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
3. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
4. How does Del describe how the students are screened to participate in the operetta?
5. How does Del finally land a part in the operetta?
6. What is the nature of the foreshadowing presented in this chapter regarding Mr. Chamberlain?
7. How does Del envision herself as a sexual person for the first time?
8. How does Del feel about Frank Wales after the operetta?
9. What becomes of Miss Farris and Mr. Boyce a few years after the operetta?
10. How does Del delve into her love for words as she writes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mr. Chamberlain. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? Does he have a personal code? What is his role within the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Del Jordan. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Del?
Essay Topic 3
Even though the world was involved in World War II during much of the time period of Del's story, it does not really enter into the book. Why does the author choose to leave this major world event out of Del's story? What does that show about the isolation of Del and her rural surroundings?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)