|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Del feel about Frank Wales?
2. What is Del's profession now?
3. What does Del experience in the epilogue?
4. Why is Naomi furious with Del the next day?
5. Which of the following is not what Del perceives about Naomi at her job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
2. How does the cooperation necessary between cast mates alter the usual dynamic between the boys and girls in class?
3. How does Del describe how the students are screened to participate in the operetta?
4. How does Del finally land a part in the operetta?
5. What is the nature of the foreshadowing presented in this chapter regarding Mr. Chamberlain?
6. Where is Del in her life in the epilogue?
7. What becomes of Miss Farris and Mr. Boyce a few years after the operetta?
8. Explain how the night of the dance further drives a wedge in Del and Naomi's relationship.
9. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
10. What are the setting and premise of Del's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Address Del's search for meaning in her life through religion? Do you agree with her process of elimination? What do you think Del is trying to find? Does she find it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
Essay Topic 3
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this story? Explain.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)