|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a reason that Del likes books so much?
2. How does Del feel about Frank Wales?
3. In Del's fantasies, Art _______________.
4. Where does Del spend the night?
5. What has Del decided to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Del respond to Mr. Chamberlain's advances?
2. How does Del describe how the students are screened to participate in the operetta?
3. What happens each March at Del's school and who is in charge of it this year?
4. What do Del and Naomi talk about and how do they manage to do it in secret?
5. What happens to Del after she and Naomi and their dates continue their evening at a hotel?
6. How does the cooperation necessary between cast mates alter the usual dynamic between the boys and girls in class?
7. What story does the epilogue tell?
8. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
9. Why is Del unable to finish her story?
10. Explain the scenario of Mr. Chamberlain taking Del out to the country and his inappropriate behavior there.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion in Del's life. Why is she so adamant about pursuing it in spite of her mother's derision? Does Del make an informed choice for a church home? Does she make a final decision she can live with? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Del's story takes place in 1940s rural Canada. Project Del's character 70 years into the future. How different would she be if she were a 21st century character living in rural character? What would she be like if she were a 21st century character living in a metropolitan area?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Del, Ada, Owen, Mr. Jordan and Uncle Benny.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)