|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What extreme weather occurs during the last spring that Del spends in Jubilee?
2. What announcement does Benny make?
3. Who is the main character of this book?
4. Which of the following does not bother Del about Major's having to be put down?
5. What is the name of the town where Del's family lives on the outskirts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Del's mother's position on religion?
2. How does Del manage the news that Uncle Craig has died?
3. What object of Uncle Craig's do Del's aunts give to her after his death?
4. How old is Del in this chapter and what is her current quest in life?
5. Who is Mary Agnes?
6. What are the circumstances of Del's biting Mary Agnes?
7. Where does Del live and how does she feel about her home?
8. What are some of the animals at Uncle Benny's house?
9. What do Del's aunts believe about ambition in life?
10. What is Del's mother's occupation in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Del Jordan. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Del?
Essay Topic 3
Del's refusal to look at Uncle Craig's dead body and her reticence to touch a dead cow are metaphors for Del's refusal to validate death. Explain what a metaphor is and why these examples support that definition. Can you cite any other examples of metaphors in the book?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)