|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Del's aunts live?
2. What do Del's aunts believe should be avoided in life?
3. What does Del say about her Uncle Benny?
4. What does Aunt Moira call Del?
5. Owen begs Del to _____________________ in a desperate attempt to save Major.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Del come to the realization that not all prayers are answered in the way one would like?
2. How does the story begin?
3. Who is the surprise visitor from America who arrives at Del's house one day?
4. What is Del's favorite of Benny's possessions?
5. How old is Del in this chapter and what is her current quest in life?
6. Where does Del live and how does she feel about her home?
7. What is Del's mother's occupation in this chapter?
8. What is Del's experience with prayer related to her sewing lessons?
9. Whatever happens to the turtle soup?
10. How does Del's mother manage to have her children live in town during the school year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mr. Chamberlain. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? Does he have a personal code? What is his role within the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Address Del's search for meaning in her life through religion? Do you agree with her process of elimination? What do you think Del is trying to find? Does she find it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this story? Explain.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)