|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What product does Del's mother sell?
2. Del spends days fishing with Uncle Benny along the _______________ River.
3. What job does Del's mother have?
4. What do Del's aunts believe should be avoided in life?
5. What does Del do one day when she is tired of repeating answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Del's mother's occupation in this chapter?
2. What social and self improvement activities does Del's mother engage in?
3. What is especially troubling for Del about the plan to kill Major?
4. When Del stays with her aunts for the summer there is an event which sticks out in her mind. What is the event and what does it point out about her aunts?
5. What do Del's aunts believe about ambition in life?
6. Explain Benny's penchant for clutter.
7. How old is Del in this chapter and what is her current quest in life?
8. What is the fate of Uncle Craig's manuscript?
9. What object of Uncle Craig's do Del's aunts give to her after his death?
10. What does Del learn about Uncle Bill shortly after he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Del's story takes place in 1940s rural Canada. Project Del's character 70 years into the future. How different would she be if she were a 21st century character living in rural character? What would she be like if she were a 21st century character living in a metropolitan area?
Essay Topic 2
Del's refusal to look at Uncle Craig's dead body and her reticence to touch a dead cow are metaphors for Del's refusal to validate death. Explain what a metaphor is and why these examples support that definition. Can you cite any other examples of metaphors in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Even though the world was involved in World War II during much of the time period of Del's story, it does not really enter into the book. Why does the author choose to leave this major world event out of Del's story? What does that show about the isolation of Del and her rural surroundings?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)