|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Del's aunts believe should be avoided in life?
2. What does Uncle Bill call Del's mother?
3. What does Del do to Mary Agnes?
4. Del is asked to recall on cue information such as the names of the American presidents or _______________________.
5. Who is Aunt Moira's and Uncle Bob's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the beginning of the end of Del and Naomi's friendship?
2. What story does the epilogue tell?
3. Why is Del helpless when it comes to helping Owen save Major?
4. What does Del relate about fishing with her Uncle Benny and her brother, Owen?
5. How does Del become a living sales prop for Del's mother's encyclopedia sales?
6. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
7. Where does Del live and how does she feel about her home?
8. How does Del's mother manage to have her children live in town during the school year?
9. How does Del manage the news that Uncle Craig has died?
10. What is the scenario when Mr. Chamberlain first behaves inappropriately toward Del?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the situation when more than one language exists within a country such as Canada? Explain the challenges of living in such situations.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell Del's story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Benny is not really Del's uncle but he has a huge role in her life. Explain the importance of Uncle Benny to Del. What does he supply for her that she cannot get from her real family?
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)