|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plan to keep Major from killing again?
2. One day Del decides she no longer wants to be her mother's _____________________.
3. What is the name of the store Del must pass to get home?
4. Which of the following do Del's aunts not do for the family?
5. Who is Del's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Del describe how the students are screened to participate in the operetta?
2. On what events does Del base her story?
3. What do Del's aunts believe about ambition in life?
4. How does Del's mother manage to have her children live in town during the school year?
5. Who is Mary Agnes?
6. What happens to Naomi when her father realizes she had been out all night drinking and carousing?
7. What are the setting and premise of Del's story?
8. What prompts Del to call Uncle Bill her "fairy godfather?"
9. What social and self improvement activities does Del's mother engage in?
10. What does Del learn about Uncle Bill shortly after he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mr. Chamberlain. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? Does he have a personal code? What is his role within the novel?
Essay Topic 2
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Del Jordan. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Del?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)