|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Uncle Bill's second wife?
2. What does Del's family raise?
3. Which of the following do Del's aunts not do for the family?
4. What do Del's aunts believe should be avoided in life?
5. Which of the following does Del not wish to believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Del in this chapter and what is her current quest in life?
2. Explain Benny's penchant for clutter.
3. What is especially troubling for Del about the plan to kill Major?
4. How does Del become a living sales prop for Del's mother's encyclopedia sales?
5. What social and self improvement activities does Del's mother engage in?
6. When Del stays with her aunts for the summer there is an event which sticks out in her mind. What is the event and what does it point out about her aunts?
7. What is Owen's idea to help save Major?
8. What are some of the animals at Uncle Benny's house?
9. How does the story begin?
10. What does Del learn about Uncle Bill shortly after he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Identify the point of view used and explain why this story qualifies.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell Del's story? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Del's refusal to look at Uncle Craig's dead body and her reticence to touch a dead cow are metaphors for Del's refusal to validate death. Explain what a metaphor is and why these examples support that definition. Can you cite any other examples of metaphors in the book?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)