|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Del call Uncle Bill?
2. Where do Dill and Uncle Bill go to the grocery?
3. Where does Del put Uncle Craig's manuscript?
4. What happens to Uncle Craig's manuscript?
5. During what months do Del's mother and the children live in the rented house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Art Chamberlain?
2. What are Del's feelings of being awkward while dancing with Clive?
3. What are Del's impressions of Naomi when she sees her at work one day?
4. What prompts Del to call Uncle Bill her "fairy godfather?"
5. Why is Del helpless when it comes to helping Owen save Major?
6. How does Del describe how the students are screened to participate in the operetta?
7. What are the circumstances of Del's biting Mary Agnes?
8. How does Del manage the news that Uncle Craig has died?
9. What is the nature of the foreshadowing presented in this chapter regarding Mr. Chamberlain?
10. How does Del feel about Frank Wales after the operetta?
Essay Topic 1
Del's refusal to look at Uncle Craig's dead body and her reticence to touch a dead cow are metaphors for Del's refusal to validate death. Explain what a metaphor is and why these examples support that definition. Can you cite any other examples of metaphors in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Del's story takes place in 1940s rural Canada. Project Del's character 70 years into the future. How different would she be if she were a 21st century character living in rural character? What would she be like if she were a 21st century character living in a metropolitan area?
Essay Topic 3
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)