|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the American police round up?
2. What does the note pinned to Leiter say?
3. Where is Quarrel from?
4. For what do the police search the Isle of Surprise?
5. Where does Bond train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the final chapter open?
2. Describe Bond's fight with the octopus.
3. How does Bond find the gold coins in Chapter 15?
4. What problems ensue when a black taxi driver spies Solitaire in Chapter 13?
5. What is Mr. Big's excuse for being on the island?
6. How does Bond plan to escape the train in Chapter 11?
7. What is Bond's only chance of survival?
8. How does Mr. Big plan to kill Bond and Solitaire?
9. Describe Leiter's condition in Chapter 14.
10. What equipment does Bond have to take underwater with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Solitaire and Bond.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are characters that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)