|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Quarrel's specialty?
2. Where does Bond train?
3. St. Petersburg is populated with ______________.
4. What does Bond try to attack the octopus with initially?
5. What does Bond read books about in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond plan to escape the train in Chapter 11?
2. What trouble does Bond encounter at the end of Chapter 11?
3. How does Bond think Mr. Big has protected his island?
4. What happens to the fisherman who tries to get on the island where Mr Big's men are working?
5. Who is Quarrel?
6. What is Mr. Big's excuse for being on the island?
7. What reason does Solitaire give for Mr. Big's power over the African-American community?
8. Describe Bond and Solitaire's journey to the Clearwater Hotel.
9. What does Leiter say happened to Bond's train cabin in Jacksonville?
10. What reason does Solitaire give for Mr. Big choosing St. Petersburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Fleming's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Compare Jamaica now to Jamaica in the Fifties. How has the country changed since it gained independence from Britain?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)