|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose is the only private business in St. Petersburg to own a shark?
2. Where does Bond train?
3. What did Mr. Big's men use to halt the train?
4. What did the men claim to be there to catch?
5. Why has Mr. Big chosen St. Petersburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond plan to escape the train in Chapter 11?
2. What has happened to Mr. Big and his Mafia group?
3. How does Mr. Big plan to kill Bond and Solitaire?
4. What does Bond attach to one of the yachts?
5. What happens to the barracudas in Chapter 20?
6. What trouble does Bond encounter at the end of Chapter 11?
7. What does Bond learn about the Robber from the local fish expert in Chapter 15?
8. What background information does Strangways give Bond in Chapter 16?
9. What is Mr. Big's excuse for being on the island?
10. Describe Bond's problem with the hospital in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950s America.
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the Fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1950s America?
Essay Topic 3
The Bond books greatly influenced modern literature and, in particular, crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it, and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)