|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin give Bond to put under the door?
2. Where does everyone claim the pirate treasure was found?
3. To whom did the train porter sell the gold coins?
4. What does Bond learn from the waiter?
5. What special gift does Solitaire possess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Bond give Mr. Big for being in America?
2. Describe the fight between Bond and the henchman in Chapter 8.
3. How do people react to Leiter asking about Mr. Big?
4. What does the Whisper do after Bond and Leiter have been told Mr. Big is at the Boneyard Bar?
5. Describe the conversation between Mr. Big and Bond.
6. Describe Mr. Big.
7. Describe Bond's mission.
8. Why is Solitaire extraordinary?
9. Why does Mr. Big want to smuggle gold out of Jamaica?
10. Describe how Mr. Big leads Bond and Leiter into a trap.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay revolving around the following statement: Fleming's portrayal of a black criminal underworld shows a western society fearful of a black culture becoming increasingly free to express itself.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Jamaica now to Jamaica in the Fifties. How has the country changed since it gained independence from Britain?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)