|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bond learn from the waiter?
2. How far does Bond think he has walked?
3. What is Mr. Big's man at the switchboard called?
4. What does Mr. Big instruct Solitaire to do?
5. About what does Mr. Big say he knows a great deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. Big rise to prominence?
2. In what way is the Whisper an example of Mr. Big's control over of the African-American community?
3. What reasons does Bond give Mr. Big for being in America?
4. Describe Bond's mission.
5. How do people react to Leiter asking about Mr. Big?
6. Why is Solitaire extraordinary?
7. Describe Mr. Big.
8. How does Bond escape in Chapter 8?
9. How do Felix and Bond decide to work together in Chapter 1?
10. What does Bond learn from Mr. Baldwin in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1974, Live and Let Die was made into a film starring Roger Moore. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant ten years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the theme to fit in with theSseventies environment? In what way did this change the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)