|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house left to Jo and Professor Bhaer?
2. What does Jo name her two sons?
3. The professor and Jo meet for walks for how long?
4. Beth tries to comfort those around her, though they are upset about what?
5. What is Amy's first intention toward Laurie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jo's reaction, in chapter thirty-seven, after Beth's death?
2. What does chapter thirty-two say about the changeable nature of life and death?
3. How does Professor Bhaer effect Jo's character and her choices in chapter thirty?
4. How does Alcott show, through Jo's progression in the book, that women can have many roles in life?
5. How do Amy and Laurie feel about the possibility of Jo marrying Professor Bhaer?
6. How does the relationship between Jo and Laurie climax in chapter thirty-one?
7. Describe why Amy, rather than Jo, is selected to go abroad with Aunt Carrol, and how Jo feels about the decision.
8. What does the entire book say about wealth?
9. How does Jo handle the fact that Beth is dying?
10. Contrast Professor Bhaer with Laurie. What could possibly draw Jo to one over the other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with the overall way Jo led her life throughout the book? Explain why you agree or disagree with her nontraditional views and choices.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how helping others is a central theme of the book. Cite examples of how the girls help each other, how the Laurence's help them, or how they each help other people outside the family.
Essay Topic 3
In part I of the book, the girls have to make sacrifices due to the War. Explain the family hardships that go on, both financial and personal, and how the girls overcome them.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)