|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house left to Jo and Professor Bhaer?
2. At Christmas, Jo and Professor Bhaer do what?
3. Amy hints to Laurie that he should rejoin whom?
4. What does Laurie tell Jo about the relationship they have?
5. What does Beth tell Jo about Beth's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, in chapter thirty-four, does Amy help Laurie to see himself for who he is and who he used to be and change accordingly?
2. In chapter thirty-nine, as she prepares to settle into the Laurence estate, how has Amy's attitude about money and material things changed?
3. During her talk with Laurie about their relationship, how is Jo's independence once again expressed with relation to the normal role of women in society in that era?
4. What is Jo's reaction, in chapter thirty-seven, after Beth's death?
5. How do Jo's rude actions in chapter twenty-six hurt Amy in chapter twenty-seven?
6. How does the relationship between Jo and Laurie climax in chapter thirty-one?
7. How do Amy and Laurie feel about the possibility of Jo marrying Professor Bhaer?
8. How does Jo react to the news that Laurie and Amy are engaged.
9. How does Marmee feel about Jo, Beth, and Jo's plan to go to New York so Laurie and Beth can be together?
10. What secret does Beth reveal to Jo at the seashore and what does it say about Beth's mental state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of the four March girls are different from each other. Cite examples from how they interact with each other, Marmee, and those they are courting throughout the book. Also, use examples of things said by, to, or about them.
Essay Topic 2
Marmee, the mother, is a major figure the girls look up to throughout the book. Later on, the three surviving girls all become mothers themselves. Based on your opinions of the way each girl acted in the book, choose one of the following and describe why you think she made the best mother.
Essay Topic 3
Shy, timid Beth's character may not seem as well developed as everyone else in the book, but she plays an integral role. How do you feel about her death and what it represented to the rest of the March girls, especially Jo?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)