|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Laurie says that he loves Jo, Jo does what?
2. Who is jealous of Amy?
3. Laurie and Amy decide what about each other?
4. Jo refuses to do what until Beth dies?
5. Amy begins to look at Laurie as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Beth reveal to Jo at the seashore and what does it say about Beth's mental state?
2. Who arrives, in chapter thirty-eight, besides Laurie, Amy, and Mr. Laurence, and why does that person come?
3. How do Jo's rude actions in chapter twenty-six hurt Amy in chapter twenty-seven?
4. How does Mrs. March's sixtieth birthday celebration, in the final chapter, mirror the Christmas festivities in the first chapter of the book?
5. In chapter thirty-nine, as she prepares to settle into the Laurence estate, how has Amy's attitude about money and material things changed?
6. How does Alcott show, through Jo's progression in the book, that women can have many roles in life?
7. How does Beth's death, in chapter thirty-five, affect the rest of the family?
8. What does chapter thirty-two say about the changeable nature of life and death?
9. How do Laurie and Amy react to the news of Beth's death, and how do their reactions alter the main story?
10. How do Amy and Laurie feel about the possibility of Jo marrying Professor Bhaer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of the four March girls are different from each other. Cite examples from how they interact with each other, Marmee, and those they are courting throughout the book. Also, use examples of things said by, to, or about them.
Essay Topic 2
Marmee, the mother, is a major figure the girls look up to throughout the book. Later on, the three surviving girls all become mothers themselves. Based on your opinions of the way each girl acted in the book, choose one of the following and describe why you think she made the best mother.
Essay Topic 3
When both March parents are away, Beth contracts Scarlet Fever and Amy is sent to Aunt March's house. Describe what that series of events shows us about Amy's character and how that character changes throughout the book.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)