|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A baby dies of what?
2. After the holidays Meg gets a job as what?
3. Marmee and Mr. Brooke go where?
4. A rumor is circulating that Mrs. March wants to arrange a match between Laurie and who?
5. The girls create a secret society with what characters based on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Meg's personality changes in chapter twenty-two, as she is married.
2. Describe Jo's attitude in chapter three and how it defies conventional thinking in that era.
3. Describe the ups and downs of Jo's writing experiences in chapter twenty-four.
4. Alcott only wrote Little Women at her publisher's suggestion. She preferred to write more adult novels. Describe the similarity between her feelings and those of Jo and her family in the book.
5. When Laurie says that Jo will be the next to wed, how does Jo react and how does Laurie view her attitude?
6. Describe how poverty plays a role in chapter two.
7. How does Jo's attitude in chapter twenty-six effect each of her visits?
8. Explain how Marmee's hope, in chapter nine, that her children will be happy, whether married or single, reflects the changing times when Alcott was writing the book in the 1860s.
9. Describe what illnesses do to the family in chapter sixteen.
10. How does Marmee's attitude about Meg and Mr. Brooke and her children growing up in general illustrate Alcott's progressive views on the position of women in the late 1800s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of the four March girls are different from each other. Cite examples from how they interact with each other, Marmee, and those they are courting throughout the book. Also, use examples of things said by, to, or about them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the following three life lessons and explain how Louisa May Alcott uses the book to illustrate it.
1. Anger and revenge can cause more trouble later on. It is better to forgive and forget.
2. Hard work has many rewards. Laziness does not.
3. Popularity is not as important as strength of character.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with the overall way Jo led her life throughout the book? Explain why you agree or disagree with her nontraditional views and choices.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)