|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes breakfast while Marmee is taking a day off?
2. As summer arrives, Marmee gives Amy and Beth what?
3. Jo goes to the Laurence house and does what unusual thing to get Laurie to let her in?
4. Marmee receives a letter from her husband, who is where?
5. Who arrives and surprises the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo's attitude in chapter twenty-six effect each of her visits?
2. As we return to Dovecote, how are Meg and John getting along in chapter twenty-five?
3. Describe what illnesses do to the family in chapter sixteen.
4. How does Jo react to Mr. Brooke taking an interest in Meg?
5. What are the girls' feelings toward the role of women in society, and how do they show these feelings in chapter ten?
6. Describe the ups and downs of Jo's writing experiences in chapter twenty-four.
7. How does Jo cutting her hair in chapter fourteen affect the family, and what does it symbolize in the broader scheme of things?
8. Describe some of the ways the girls keep busy in chapter four, now that the Christmas holidays have ended.
9. How is the Christmas celebration in chapter nineteen different from Christmas a year before?
10. How does Amy's family react to her party plan in chapter twenty-three, both before and after the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of the four March girls are different from each other. Cite examples from how they interact with each other, Marmee, and those they are courting throughout the book. Also, use examples of things said by, to, or about them.
Essay Topic 2
Christmas and other parties play a recurring role in the March girls' lives throughout the book. Compare and contrast some of the Christmases and other parties in the book and explain how the girls learned the lesson that material things are not as important as family and friends during those festivities.
Essay Topic 3
When both March parents are away, Beth contracts Scarlet Fever and Amy is sent to Aunt March's house. Describe what that series of events shows us about Amy's character and how that character changes throughout the book.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)