|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a baby dies in her arms, who becomes deathly ill herself?
2. What is the name of the family's long time domestic servant?
3. Meg is invited to whose house for two weeks?
4. Mr. Laurence gives Beth a gift that originally belonged to whom?
5. Where is Meg's wedding held?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the idea that leisure doesn't pay neatly illustrated by Marmee for all of the girls in chapter eleven?
2. Describe the differences between each of the March girls.
3. Alcott only wrote Little Women at her publisher's suggestion. She preferred to write more adult novels. Describe the similarity between her feelings and those of Jo and her family in the book.
4. Describe the ups and downs of Jo's writing experiences in chapter twenty-four.
5. Describe how both Amy and Jo are used to teach a lesson about anger and revenge in chapter eight.
6. Describe some of the ways the girls keep busy in chapter four, now that the Christmas holidays have ended.
7. Describe Meg's attitude, in chapter eighteen, when she finds out that Laurie sent a letter to her as a prank.
8. How does Marmee's attitude about Meg and Mr. Brooke and her children growing up in general illustrate Alcott's progressive views on the position of women in the late 1800s?
9. How does financial and social status affect Jo in chapter five when she sees Laurie again?
10. What major event happens to Meg and John after they have been married for a year and how does everyone handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christmas and other parties play a recurring role in the March girls' lives throughout the book. Compare and contrast some of the Christmases and other parties in the book and explain how the girls learned the lesson that material things are not as important as family and friends during those festivities.
Essay Topic 2
Marmee, the mother, is a major figure the girls look up to throughout the book. Later on, the three surviving girls all become mothers themselves. Based on your opinions of the way each girl acted in the book, choose one of the following and describe why you think she made the best mother.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how each of the four March girls are different from each other. Cite examples from how they interact with each other, Marmee, and those they are courting throughout the book. Also, use examples of things said by, to, or about them.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)