|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jo does what to raise money for a trip?
2. When Meg gives birth to twins, they decide to name the boy what?
3. Who tells Meg that they are not impressed by her "fuss and feathers" at the party?
4. Due to Laurie's prank, what happens?
5. Amy gets punished for bringing what to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Meg's personality changes in chapter twenty-two, as she is married.
2. How does Meg show, in chapter twenty, that, even though much of the book goes against the tradition of the times, traditional choices are still alright for some?
3. How does Marmee's attitude about Meg and Mr. Brooke and her children growing up in general illustrate Alcott's progressive views on the position of women in the late 1800s?
4. When Laurie says that Jo will be the next to wed, how does Jo react and how does Laurie view her attitude?
5. Describe how the men at the picnic in chapter eleven, Fred Vaughn, Laurie, and Mr. Brooke, reveal their true feelings and their character to the girls.
6. How does Amy's family react to her party plan in chapter twenty-three, both before and after the party?
7. Describe Jo's attitude in chapter three and how it defies conventional thinking in that era.
8. How does Jo's attitude in chapter twenty-six effect each of her visits?
9. Describe the differences between each of the March girls.
10. As we return to Dovecote, how are Meg and John getting along in chapter twenty-five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marmee, the mother, is a major figure the girls look up to throughout the book. Later on, the three surviving girls all become mothers themselves. Based on your opinions of the way each girl acted in the book, choose one of the following and describe why you think she made the best mother.
Essay Topic 2
Shy, timid Beth's character may not seem as well developed as everyone else in the book, but she plays an integral role. How do you feel about her death and what it represented to the rest of the March girls, especially Jo?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how helping others is a central theme of the book. Cite examples of how the girls help each other, how the Laurence's help them, or how they each help other people outside the family.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)