|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A baby dies of what?
(b) yellow fever
(c) scarlet fever
2. Who is upset about the idea that Meg might marry Mr. Brooke?
3. What secret does Laurie tell Jo?
(a) He saw Mr. Brooke watching Meg.
(b) He saw Mr. Brooke kiss Meg.
(c) He saw Mr. Brooke carrying Meg's glove.
(d) He found a letter that Mr. Brook wrote to Meg.
4. Jo does what to raise money for a trip?
(a) sells her hair
(b) sells eggs
(c) gets a housekeeping job
(d) gets a job as a cook
5. Amy wants to have a gathering of her friends, which she calls what?
(a) artists gathering
(b) art appreciation meeting
(c) artists picnic
(d) artistic fete
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the girls decide to allow in the club?
2. Jo expects Meg to reject Mr. Brooke's proposal, but, instead, she sees what happen?
3. Jo submits a story to a writing contest and wins how much prize money?
4. Laurie tells Jo that one of his college friends is smitten with whom?
5. After a baby dies in her arms, who becomes deathly ill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter thirty-eight, Laurie and Jo have a final discussion about their relationship and decide what?
2. How does Alcott illustrate that "pride goes before a fall" and that popularity is not necessarily a good thing in chapter seven, using Amy as an example.
3. How, in chapter thirty-four, does Amy help Laurie to see himself for who he is and who he used to be and change accordingly?
4. How does Jo's attitude in chapter twenty-six effect each of her visits?
5. During her talk with Laurie about their relationship, how is Jo's independence once again expressed with relation to the normal role of women in society in that era?
6. Describe how the romance between Jo and the professor finally blossoms.
7. How is the Christmas celebration in chapter nineteen different from Christmas a year before?
8. How do Amy and Laurie feel about the possibility of Jo marrying Professor Bhaer?
9. What are the girls' feelings toward the role of women in society, and how do they show these feelings in chapter ten?
10. How is the idea that leisure doesn't pay neatly illustrated by Marmee for all of the girls in chapter eleven?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)