|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alexandra dismiss the notion of the unlikely marriage?
2. How does Birdie's husband respond to her complaint about his hobby?
3. Why does Ben say his family is successful?
4. Who challenges Mr. Marshall's choice of term that he used in reference to the family?
5. What drink does the butler bring into the parlor in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Horace return downstairs after arguing with Regina in Act 2?
2. What does Cal report when he returns from his errand?
3. Discuss Ben's idea of keeping the profits from their business deal strictly within the family.
4. How much time has passed between the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3? What is Horace's physical condition at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Discuss why Birdie gets slapped in Act 1.
6. Discuss Alexandra's attitude at the end of Act 3.
7. Why doesn't Birdie get what she wants from her house in Act 1?
8. Is Birdie respected by the rest of the family? Why or why not?
9. Discuss the importance of the props placed near Horace in the beginning of Act 3.
10. What does Mr. Marshall like about Regina's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the thoughts and feelings behind Addie's smile as she turns off the light at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the items Horace keeps in his safe deposit box at the bank.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of the play.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)