|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben say his family is successful?
2. Which of her husband's hobbies does Birdie complain is useless?
3. What does Oscar like about Jekyll Island?
4. Who instructs Alexandra to go pick up her father?
5. According to Ben, who is not very adaptable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Horace's health during the trip and upon arrival home.
2. How does the audience know Alexandra will really leave?
3. Why does Horace return downstairs after arguing with Regina in Act 2?
4. Discuss three characters with good morals in Act 2 and the events that demonstrate their goodness.
5. What does Regina cruelly accuse Horace of at the end of Act 2 and what is his response?
6. Why does Mr. Marshall say he wants to build a mill in the southern town?
7. What is ironic about Regina's greeting of her husband when he arrives home in Act 2?
8. Discuss Mr. Marshall's comment that Southern aristocrats stay together and keep what belongs to them.
9. Why does Ben's family really now own Lionnet?
10. Discuss Ben's idea of keeping the profits from their business deal strictly within the family.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences in employee wages and work conditions between the North and the South in the late 1800s -early 1900s.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of revenge in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the exposition of the play.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)