|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business does the family want to start in their hometown?
2. What does Ben say he wants to do with his money?
3. Who discreetly agrees with Birdie's dislike for her husband's hobby?
4. Who thinks Horace is holding out for more than a third of the deal?
5. How does the family communicate with Horace regarding the business matter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, what information does Horace tell Birdie in front of Regina?
2. Describe Regina's reaction to Horace's refusal to participate in the deal.
3. Discuss two ways that Horace intends to obstruct the schemes of Regina and her brothers.
4. Does Ben know from whom Ben and Leo plan to borrow the money? How do you know?
5. Discuss the contents of Horace's safe deposit box and what they say about Horace.
6. Discuss Birdie's dislike for her husband's shooting hobby.
7. How much time has passed since Act 1 and how does Act 2 open?
8. What does Regina think about Alexandra's new-found spirit after Horace's death and what does she want for their relationship?
9. Discuss Ben's idea of keeping the profits from their business deal strictly within the family.
10. What is the real reason Mr. Marshall wants to build a mill in the southern town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony in the use of the phrase "bad heart" to describe Horace's ailment. Was his heart bad in a way other than physically? Who truly has a "bad heart" in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in employee wages and work conditions between the North and the South in the late 1800s -early 1900s.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hellman's personal inspiration for writing the play. Where did she get the idea for the play's title and how does it relate to the story?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)