|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who halts Birdie's errand request?
2. Who suggests the unlikely marriage?
3. Who announces to the family that the dinner guests are about to enter the parlor?
4. Who thinks Horace is holding out for more than a third of the deal?
5. How does the Hubbard family acquire the Lionnet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the talk Horace has with Addie when they are alone in the parlor in Act 3.
2. How much time has passed since Act 1 and how does Act 2 open?
3. In Act 1, what does Birdie want fetched from her house and why?
4. Why does Ben's family really now own Lionnet?
5. What are Mr. Marshall's thoughts about Southerners?
6. How does the audience know Alexandra will really leave?
7. Does Ben know from whom Ben and Leo plan to borrow the money? How do you know?
8. Discuss the mood at the beginning of Act 3.
9. How much time has passed between the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3? What is Horace's physical condition at the beginning of Act 3?
10. Discuss Mr. Marshall's comment that Southern aristocrats stay together and keep what belongs to them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the thoughts and feelings behind Addie's smile as she turns off the light at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lillian Hellman's contemporaries and other plays that were popular when The Little Foxes was released.
Essay Topic 3
This play is set after the Civil War, yet Addie and Cal are both basically powerless in their roles with the Giddens and Hubbard families. In those post-war times, why were African-Americans in the South still in subservient positions?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)