|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who halts Birdie's errand request?
2. Why does the family want the business in their hometown?
3. Who points out that the money will stay in the family?
4. Who cooked the special dinner in Act 1?
5. What does Birdie want retrieved from her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Birdie gets slapped in Act 1.
2. Who does Horace suspect will enforce the promises the family made to Mr. Marshall and how?
3. Discuss Alexandra's attitude at the end of Act 3.
4. In Act 1, what does Birdie want fetched from her house and why?
5. Discuss the talk Horace has with Addie when they are alone in the parlor in Act 3.
6. Discuss Ben's thoughts on the downfall of Lionnet.
7. What are Mr. Marshall's thoughts about Southerners?
8. How does the audience know Alexandra will really leave?
9. What does Cal report when he returns from his errand?
10. Where is the home in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss greed as the theme of this play. Be sure to use the definition of "theme" in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the playwright's life as an activist. What elements from her life and/or personal philosophies are seen in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hellman's personal inspiration for writing the play. Where did she get the idea for the play's title and how does it relate to the story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)