|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexandra told is the best cure for her father?
2. Who announces to the family that the dinner guests are about to enter the parlor?
3. Who challenges Mr. Marshall's choice of term that he used in reference to the family?
4. Who tells Alexandra about the unlikely marriage conversation?
5. After their business dinner, how much time does the family have to come up with the money for their business deal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience know Alexandra will really leave?
2. What is ironic about Regina's greeting of her husband when he arrives home in Act 2?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3? What is Horace's physical condition at the beginning of Act 3?
4. How will the Hubbard brothers pay back their loan and in what time frame?
5. What does Birdie say about her marriage to Oscar in Act 3?
6. How much time has passed since Act 1 and how does Act 2 open?
7. Discuss why Birdie gets slapped in Act 1.
8. What has Horace learned that the Hubbards have promised to Mr. Marshall?
9. What does Cal report when he returns from his errand?
10. What does Regina think about Alexandra's new-found spirit after Horace's death and what does she want for their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony in the use of the phrase "bad heart" to describe Horace's ailment. Was his heart bad in a way other than physically? Who truly has a "bad heart" in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the items Horace keeps in his safe deposit box at the bank.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of revenge in the play.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)