|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birdie say she wants to do with her money?
2. What does Alexandra say in Act 1 that irritates her mother?
3. Who thinks Horace is not interested in the business deal?
4. What is Horace's initial response to his family's communications?
5. What played a role in the fall of the Lionnet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Ben know from whom Ben and Leo plan to borrow the money? How do you know?
2. What are Horace's instructions to Cal in Act 3?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3? What is Horace's physical condition at the beginning of Act 3?
4. Why doesn't Birdie get what she wants from her house in Act 1?
5. Discuss two ways that Horace intends to obstruct the schemes of Regina and her brothers.
6. Discuss Oscar's scheme to borrow Horace's bonds.
7. Why does Regina glare at Horace as she enters in Act 3?
8. What does Alexandra say Horace told her about the Hubbard family? Which other character has used the same analogy?
9. What was the discussion between Addie and Horace when he first arrives home?
10. Why doesn't Ben shake Leo's hand in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and discuss two motifs of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Hubbards' plan to keep all their new profits confined strictly to their own family. What's wrong with their plan? Do they ever for a moment consider what might be wrong with the plan?
Essay Topic 3
Why were northern business men interested in developing industry in the South right after defeating the region in the Civil War? What term was used to describe such businessmen and how was the term derived?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)