|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ben, who is not very adaptable?
2. Who gets slapped in Act 1?
3. Who originally owned the Lionnet?
4. Who cooked the special dinner in Act 1?
5. Who instructs Alexandra to go pick up her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will the Hubbard brothers pay back their loan and in what time frame?
2. Discuss Ben's thoughts on the downfall of Lionnet.
3. Discuss Oscar's scheme to borrow Horace's bonds.
4. What does Cal report when he returns from his errand?
5. What is the real reason Mr. Marshall wants to build a mill in the southern town?
6. What reason does Horace give the family for not participating in the mill deal?
7. Discuss Ben's thoughts on the Southern aristocracy.
8. Discuss Birdie's dislike for her husband's shooting hobby.
9. In whose home does Act 1 take place?
10. Discuss Alexandra's attitude at the end of Act 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony in the use of the phrase "bad heart" to describe Horace's ailment. Was his heart bad in a way other than physically? Who truly has a "bad heart" in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thoughts and feelings behind Addie's smile as she turns off the light at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss two motifs of the play.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)