|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unlikely marriage would make the family very happy?
2. Which character officially fits the title used by Mr. Marshall to describe the family?
3. Why does the family want the business in their hometown?
4. Which of Regina's brothers isn't married?
5. What does Birdie say she wants to do with her money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Oscar's scheme to borrow Horace's bonds.
2. What does Horace reveal to Regina about his will in Act 3?
3. What was the discussion between Addie and Horace when he first arrives home?
4. Why does Horace return downstairs after arguing with Regina in Act 2?
5. Describe Horace's health during the trip and upon arrival home.
6. Discuss three characters with good morals in Act 2 and the events that demonstrate their goodness.
7. Discuss Alexandra's attitude at the end of Act 3.
8. Discuss Ben's thoughts on the downfall of Lionnet.
9. How much time has passed between the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3? What is Horace's physical condition at the beginning of Act 3?
10. What has Horace learned that the Hubbards have promised to Mr. Marshall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the industrialization of the New South. How did this affect the characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thoughts and feelings behind Addie's smile as she turns off the light at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in employee wages and work conditions between the North and the South in the late 1800s -early 1900s.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)