|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Horace believe the family's business decision is wrong?
(a) They know nothing about cotton.
(b) They know nothing about industrialization.
(c) They know nothing about management.
(d) They will make money off the labor of men who will not be paid a fair wage.
2. Horace learns that the family promised Mr. Marshall what kind of wages for the facility they plan to build?
(d) Fair with lots of possiblities to grow within the company.
3. Who is with Regina as she has breakfast at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Her brothers and nephew.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Horace and Zan.
(d) Addie and Cal.
4. In Act 2, when do Regina's true feelings come out?
(a) When Horace tells her no and when her brothers cut her from the deal.
(b) When she realizes she's not going to travel.
(c) When Zan begs her not to fight any more.
(d) When she sees that Horace is tired and ailing.
5. Why does Horace leave the room after telling the family he will not invest in their business?
(a) To go for a walk.
(b) To eat dinner.
(c) To lie down.
(d) To shower.
6. Who greets Horace and Alexandra when they arrive home?
(c) The entire family.
7. Who does Horace ask why he's been called home?
8. What other family plan will Horace not endorse?
(a) Building a new plantation.
(b) A marriage between Leo and Zan.
(c) Insurance benefits for employees.
(d) Industrialization of the south.
9. What else about the prospective facility does the family promise Mr. Marshall regarding employees?
(a) A skilled labor force.
(b) No benefits.
(c) Much of the work will be computerized.
(d) No strikes.
10. What piece of jewelry is in the safe deposit box?
(a) Cuff links.
(b) A ring.
(c) A watch.
(d) A cameo.
11. What musical instrument is -- at least in part -- in the safe deposit box?
12. Who works as a teller at the local bank?
13. Who mutters "over my dead body" in Act 2?
14. What is the brilliant idea that is derived after learning the contents of the safe deposit box?
(a) To stage a fire at the bank and say the bonds were consumed.
(b) To steal the bonds outright.
(c) To borrow the bonds, then pay them back.
(d) To take half the bonds and fill the rest of the envelopes with blank papers.
15. Who tells Regina in Act 2 that the funding problem is settled?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Regina's maiden name?
2. What cruel statement does Regina tell Horace as they argue in Act 2?
3. Why is Alexandra distraught during the family's visit in Act 2?
4. Why does Horace return from his rest to the family visit in Act 2?
5. Why do Horace and Alexandra choose to stay overnight in another town, delaying their arrival back home?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)