|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Horace believe the family's business decision is wrong?
(a) They know nothing about industrialization.
(b) They know nothing about cotton.
(c) They will make money off the labor of men who will not be paid a fair wage.
(d) They know nothing about management.
2. Who does Horace suspect will be in charge of the local employees of the potential business?
3. Horace learns that the family promised Mr. Marshall what kind of wages for the facility they plan to build?
(a) Fair with lots of possiblities to grow within the company.
4. How much time passes between the end of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One night.
(d) One day.
5. Why is Alexandra distraught during the family's visit in Act 2?
(a) Her parents continue to fight.
(b) All the answers are correct.
(c) Her mother is stressing her father.
(d) Her father's health condition is weakened.
6. How much time will the family have to pay back Horace's share of the money?
(a) About a year.
(b) About a week.
(c) About five months.
(d) About 11 months.
7. Armed with the knowledge of the safe deposit box, who gets a brilliant idea?
8. Who is concerned about Horace's health in Act 2?
(a) Addie and Zan.
(b) Leo and Zan.
(c) Regina and Zan.
(d) Only Zan.
9. In Act 2, when do Regina's true feelings come out?
(a) When she realizes she's not going to travel.
(b) When Horace tells her no and when her brothers cut her from the deal.
(c) When she sees that Horace is tired and ailing.
(d) When Zan begs her not to fight any more.
10. What is the brilliant idea that is derived after learning the contents of the safe deposit box?
(a) To take half the bonds and fill the rest of the envelopes with blank papers.
(b) To steal the bonds outright.
(c) To stage a fire at the bank and say the bonds were consumed.
(d) To borrow the bonds, then pay them back.
11. In determining how much time they have to pay back Horace's share of the money, what assumption does the family make?
(a) That they can get the bonds cashed.
(b) That they will be able to afford the interest rate.
(c) That Horace has already seen his safe deposit box before arriving home.
(d) That the interest rate won't increase.
12. Who ignores Alexandra's plea to stop stressing her father?
13. Why does Horace leave the room after telling the family he will not invest in their business?
(a) To eat dinner.
(b) To go for a walk.
(c) To lie down.
(d) To shower.
14. What else about the prospective facility does the family promise Mr. Marshall regarding employees?
(a) No strikes.
(b) A skilled labor force.
(c) Much of the work will be computerized.
(d) No benefits.
15. In what way does the one who tries to stop the argument in Act 2 suggest that Horace should be approached?
(a) With "softness and a smile."
(b) With a gun to end his life.
(c) With a quick blow to the head.
(d) With "love and understanding."
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it explained to Ben that the family came up with Horace's share of the money?
2. What does Regina wonder aloud in front of her guests might have contributed to Horace's poor health?
3. What cruel statement does Regina tell Horace as they argue in Act 2?
4. Who rummaged through someone else's safe deposit box?
5. What is Regina's maiden name?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)