|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pa say about the old trail by the house?
2. Why are the cowboys singing?
3. What kind of special treat does Pa bring from Independence?
4. Where are the men taking the cattle?
5. What does Pa see that makes him say it is time for him to return to Independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a prairie fire appear and what do Ma and Pa do about it? What is the result of their efforts?
2. How does Jack, Pa and Ma feel about all the Indians going down the trail?
3. How does the family almost lose the furs Pa has collected and what do they lose?
4. What happens one day when the chimney catches on fire?
5. What does Pa eat when he feels better and what does Mrs. Scott think of his choice of foods?
6. Who helps the Ingalls family when they are sick and how do they help them?
7. What do Pa and Mr. Scott hit before they get water in the well and what does Laura think of the water?
8. What do Mr. Scott and Mr. Edwards think about the prairie and what how do they feel about the Indians getting together?
9. What does Pa agree to do for the cattlemen who come by the house and what do they offer him?
10. How does Mr. Edwards get to the Ingalls for Christmas and what does he bring with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the reflection of Laura looking back on her life might be very different then her life had actually been? Do you think Laura sees her past as being better than it was? Why or why not? Use examples from Little House on the Prairie to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of self-reliance in Little House on the Prairie. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which characters are most concerned with being independent and how they demonstrate independence? What might drive them to be self-reliant?
Trace and analyze the theme of joy in one’s life in Little House on the Prairie. How is joy found in a difficult life? How are the joys in the Ingalls lives different from those in modern America? How might finding the good in everyday help a family survive a harsh environment? Use examples from Little House on the Prairie to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Little House on the Prairie and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)