|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pa say has ridden past the house in the night?
2. Who helps Laura get Mary water when the family is sick?
3. Why does Laura bolt upright in the bed and scream?
4. Why were there small holes in the ground at the Indian camp?
5. What does Pa do with Pet and Patty when the fire is coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Ingalls family become sick?
2. What do Mr. Scott and Mr. Edwards think about the prairie and what how do they feel about the Indians getting together?
3. Why does the family worry about Pa getting back from Independence and what does he manage to bring with him without breaking it?
4. What does Pa eat when he feels better and what does Mrs. Scott think of his choice of foods?
5. Why does Pa go to the Scotts’ in the middle of the night?
6. Why do the girls worry about Christmas and the family worry about Mr. Edwards?
7. How does a prairie fire appear and what do Ma and Pa do about it? What is the result of their efforts?
8. What does Pa say is the scream and how is the problem solved?
9. How does Jack, Pa and Ma feel about all the Indians going down the trail?
10. What can the settlers hear from the Indians and how are the settlers feeling about what they hear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pa's gamble of settling early in Indian territory does not pay off. After receiving conflicting information for several months, the family learns of the government's decision that the white settlers must leave the Indian territory; they will be removed by force if necessary. Pa will not wait for this indignity, so the family leaves.
Compare the ways in which the Ingalls have to leave the home they have built because they have encroached on Indian land to what happens to Indians when they are made to move by the government. Use examples from Little House on the Prairie to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
While the Ingalls’ days are filled with work just to survive, there are a few moments of happiness, such as when Pa plays his fiddle, when Pa takes his older daughters to the creek and the deserted Indian camp, and when Mr. Edwards brings them Christmas presents from Santa.
Discuss the ways in which the Ingalls find joy and entertainment in their lives and compare them to the way in which modern Americans entertain themselves. What do you think a child in modern America would think of Laura and Mary’s Christmas gifts? Use examples from Little House on the Prairie to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is little social interaction outside of the family as well as much uncertainty because of the presence of potentially hostile Indians for significant portions of the year.
Discuss the reasons the Indians might have for being hostile and the problem of good, moral people like the Ingalls participating in events that are seen as immoral or unethical in modern America. Use examples from Little House on the Prairie to support your answer.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)