|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary and Laura do with their beads?
2. What massacre does Mrs. Scott talk to Ma about?
3. What does Pa bring into the house the day before Christmas?
4. What did Laura do with Mary and Carrie when a burning stick fell into the cabin?
5. What do the girls say the Indians had eaten in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps the family awake for several nights and what does Laura see when it finally stops?
2. What does the family end up getting from the cattlemen and what does Pa get from it that night?
3. What does Pa eat when he feels better and what does Mrs. Scott think of his choice of foods?
4. How does a prairie fire appear and what do Ma and Pa do about it? What is the result of their efforts?
5. How does the family almost lose the furs Pa has collected and what do they lose?
6. What does Pa say is the scream and how is the problem solved?
7. How do Mary and Laura find out there is something going on with the Indians and what does Pa say is happening?
8. What can the settlers hear from the Indians and how are the settlers feeling about what they hear?
9. What happens when Mr. Edwards stops by to do chores when Pa goes to Independence?
10. What happens one day when the chimney catches on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Little House on the Prairie and what they foreshadow? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 2
Little House on the Prairie belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a science fiction novel or a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a novel? Do you think Little House on the Prairie would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fiction and do you think Little House on the Prairie fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)