|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pa say is living about nine miles away?
2. Where do Laura and Ma make the beds in Chapter 5?
3. How does Pa fasten the barn door shut?
4. Why does Laura have a difficult time falling asleep the night Jack returns?
5. What river is near the Ingalls’ homestead site?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laura tell her Pa about Jack and the Indians and what is his response?
2. What does Pa make for the cabin at the beginning of Chapter 12 and how does Ma help?
3. What does Pa do every morning when digging the well with Mr. Scott and what happens to Mr. Scott in the well one morning?
4. What happens with Pet the day after the stable is built?
5. Where do the Ingalls stop for supplies and where do they spend the first night on the road? What do they hear that first night?
6. How does the house and the barn get doors?
7. How does Pa finish the fireplace and what does Ma do when he finishes it?
8. What does the family do after Pa and Mr. Edwards finish the house, except for the roof?
9. Why is Laura worried about crossing the creek?
10. What does Pa do with Pet and Patty when they camp on the prairie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
No matter what happens to the Ingalls family, they exhibit a hardy pioneer spirit as they pursue their American dream. They essentially risk their lives for a chance at owning land in virgin territory.
Discuss, in depth, the reason the Ingalls are willing to risk so much by moving to Indian territory. Consider the meaning of pioneer spirit in your answer. Use examples from Little House on the Prairie to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a novel? Do you think Little House on the Prairie would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fiction and do you think Little House on the Prairie fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Little House on the Prairie, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)