|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has John Chivery admired for most of his life?
2. What will happen to Henry's debts as a result of his marriage to Minnie?
3. Who holds the biggest lien against Amy's father?
4. How do Henry and Minnie depart from their wedding?
5. How is Mr. Merdle held by the Society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arthur decide to do when he sees a man being taken to the hospital after walking with Pancks for the first time?
2. What does Arthur realize about Pet and Henry when he first meets them during dinner at the Meagles's?
3. How does Amy respond to Arthur's paying off of Tip's debts?
4. What reason does Pancks give Arthur for asking about information on the Dorrit family?
5. How does Little Dorrit respond to Pancks's continual inquiries about her?
6. How does Arthur feel about finding out about the Dorrit family fortune?
7. How did John Edward Nandy come to know William Dorrit?
8. How is the character of Blandois introduced?
9. What reaction does Amy have to her father's reaction to seeing her walking with Nandy?
10. What happens to Amy as her family is preparing to leave the debtors' prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss: 1) why Mr. Merdle is able to perpetrate the high level of fraud that he does throughout "Little Dorrit" and 2) why he kills himself.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism behind the Dorrit family's residence in the debtors' prison, using direct examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Amy could be described as kind, giving, and good or as naive and someone who is taken advantage of by others. Choose either position and present a paper discussing what kind of character Amy is, using direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)