|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds the biggest lien against Amy's father?
2. Why does Arthur want to call Amy "Little Dorrit"?
3. Who took Maggy in when her family abandoned her?
4. Where does Little Dorrit live?
5. Where does "Little Dorrit" open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pet confide in Arthur during a private conversation between the two of them?
2. What is Franny's first relationship with Mrs. Merdle like?
3. What does Arthur realize about Pet and Henry when he first meets them during dinner at the Meagles's?
4. Why does Amy refuse Arthur's offer to pay off her father's debts?
5. What happens to Amy as her family is preparing to leave the debtors' prison?
6. What is Arthur astounded to learn over dinner with the Gowans?
7. How is the character of Blandois introduced?
8. Why does Little Dorrit's father live in the debtors' prison?
9. What reason does Pancks give Arthur for asking about information on the Dorrit family?
10. What does Arthur decide to do when he sees a man being taken to the hospital after walking with Pancks for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dorrit's death and any commentary Dickens may be making about wealth and family through the way this particular character dies. If appropriate, address Dorrit's brother's death immediately afterward as well.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss: 1) why Mr. Merdle is able to perpetrate the high level of fraud that he does throughout "Little Dorrit" and 2) why he kills himself.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three acts of kindness Arthur does within the first fifteen chapters that show the reader what kind of character he is.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)