|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arthur see happening in town after he leaves Pancks for the first time?
(a) A crowd bringing people to the hospital.
(b) A crowd about to riot over bread.
(c) A crowd waiting for him.
(d) A crowd attacking other people.
2. For how long has Mr. Clennam been in China before he returns home?
(a) 20 months.
(b) 20 days.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 20 weeks.
3. How does Amy feel about the way Franny came about her piece of jewelry from Mrs. Merdle?
(a) She doesn't really feel strongly one way or the other.
(b) She does not approve of it.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She plans to steal it for herself.
4. Where do the Meagles live?
5. What does Pancks continually tell Little Dorrit?
(a) That he knows her deepest, darkest secret.
(b) That he will tell her fortune one day.
(c) That he will marry her one day.
(d) That she should be careful riding trains.
6. Which character refuses to return to the Meagles household?
7. What does Arthur think of Henry upon their first meeting?
(a) He does not like him.
(b) He finds him boring but not likable or unlikable.
(c) He feels an instant connection to him.
(d) He thinks he looks strangely familiar.
8. What kinds of messages do the letters bring that Maggy gives Arthur on the Iron Bridge?
(a) Requests for money.
(c) Sad news about a death in the family.
(d) Secret messages.
9. What kinds of lessons does Amy arrange for her sister?
(a) Singing lessons.
(b) Dancing lessons.
(c) Painting lessons.
(d) Riding lessons.
10. Who is Henry Gowan?
(a) Arthur's brother.
(b) The town tax collector.
(c) Daniel's brother.
(d) A frequent visitor to the Meagles.
11. Who is married to Mrs. Clennam?
(a) Mr. Meagles.
(b) Arthur Clennam.
(c) Monsieur Rigaud.
(d) Jeremiah Flintwinch.
12. For which government does the Circumlocution Office function?
(a) The British government.
(b) The American government.
(c) The French government.
(d) The Italian government.
13. Why does Arthur offer to help Cavalletto?
(a) Because he has such a kind face.
(b) Because he is from Marseilles too.
(c) Because he looks strangely familiar.
(d) Because he is trying to impress a girl.
14. Who is Henry a beneficiary of?
(a) A government lottery.
(b) The Dorrit family.
(c) The Clennam family.
(d) The Barnacle family.
15. What is the relationship between William and Frederick?
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are brothers-in-law.
(d) They are brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Maggy bring Arthur during his walk with Amy on the Iron Bridge?
2. Who is Arthur surprised to get a visit from one day in his office?
3. How old was Maggy when she first got sick?
4. What person does Amy agree to allow Arthur to set free (through paying off his debts)?
5. What is Mr. Merdle's apparent financial situation?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)