|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank for this quote from "Mandra:" "[Miriam and Paul's] obsession [is] with the word that is the key to society--everything must be "________."
2. What does Faye discover when she goes walking one night?
3. How does Laura initially describe the animal she sees near the first image on the ceiling?
4. What body part is the painter from "The Queen" discussing in the following statement? "Her _____. It is impossible to describe her _____ except by saying that they were the _____ of an orgasm."
5. Why is Albert finally able to make love to Faye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Fay's husband give for not making love to her on their wedding night in the story "Saffron"?
2. What happens when Fay demands Albert make love to her?
3. In "A Model," why does the narrator become a model?
4. How does Rango treat Hilda after their first, failed sexual encounter?
5. Why does the painter in "The Queen" claim to like women such as Bijou?
6. How does Fay discover Albert is being unfaithful?
7. In "The Chanchiquito", what happens to the old lady in Laura's uncle's story?
8. What pictures does Jan draw on the ceiling and why?
9. In what ways is Mary described as being intensely sexual, yet frigid?
10. For what reasons is the narrator and the mysterious man at the end of "A Model" drawn together, eventually becoming lovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Bijou and Mary? Why is it significant that both women are depicted as being highly promiscuous? Why is it important to note that descriptions of these characters are filtered through the perceptions of people who are attracted to them (and, in Bijou's case, infuriated by her)? In what way is Mary able to break out of her role? Why are both women depicted as being so unhappy? How does this reflect upon the people who pursue relationships with them? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of artists and art in this book. Be sure that your answer covers how the occupation of some of these artists reflect upon their characters, temperament, and the author's tendency to portray the characters as bohemians, as well as how it relates to their sexuality. Besides this, also discuss times when these ideas are subverted with another character and how that relate to the portrayal of artists.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of age and youth in these stories in the following format:
Part 1) The young brides.
Part 2) The sexually adventurous teenagers.
Part 3) The conflicts that arise from partners with a distinct age difference.
Part 4) The cultural differences in youth
Part 5) The compromises within the relationships, as well as the fate of the relationship.
Some of the stories that should definitely be discussed (but not exclusively) include "Saffron," "Sirocco," "a Model," and "Runaway." Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)