|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rango grow angry with Hilda?
2. How does Laura initially describe the animal she sees near the first image on the ceiling?
3. What is the occupation of Lena's friend who tells stories of his job and of his roommate's lustiness in "A Model?"
4. According to Mandra, what has Mary never experienced?
5. In "A Model," why does the mother's friend believe the narrator could be a model?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship the narrator from "A Model" forms with Reynolds while they are in the countryside.
2. How does the narrator compare her attractiveness to Miriam's appeal?
3. Describe some of the narrator's first modeling jobs, including her experienced with the artists in "A Model."
4. How does the painter know Bijou is faithless at the Art Ball?
5. In "A Model," why does the narrator become a model?
6. What reasons does Fay's husband give for not making love to her on their wedding night in the story "Saffron"?
7. How is Hilda forced to deal with her relationship to the American writer?
8. Describe Mary's life, from the story "Mandra"
9. What happens when Fay demands Albert make love to her?
10. How does the painter view Bijou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of innocence in "Little Birds" in the following format:
Part 1) The schoolgirls (and unsuspecting ladies) in "Little Birds."
Part 2) Maria in "the Maja."
Part 3) The narrator in "a Model."
Part 4) Jeannette in "Runaway."
Develop a clear thesis statement and apply it to these characters. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of artists and art in this book. Be sure that your answer covers how the occupation of some of these artists reflect upon their characters, temperament, and the author's tendency to portray the characters as bohemians, as well as how it relates to their sexuality. Besides this, also discuss times when these ideas are subverted with another character and how that relate to the portrayal of artists.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the marriage of Novalis and Maria in terms of their fantasies for one another. Develop a clear thesis statement and be sure to discuss the following (though not exclusively): Novalis's attraction to "Maja Desnuda" and Maria's resemblance to that model, Maria and Novalis's conflicting desires, Maria's conservatism (as well as Novalis's reactions to this), and the changes within their relationship throughout the story. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)