|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michel burning when the narrator and Lina arrive at his apartment?
2. How do Louis and the woman spend time between bouts of love-making?
3. What does Dorothy do after having sex with Donald and John?
4. When promising to show the exotic birds to the schoolgirls, what does Manuel say is different about the bird from Brazil?
5. What disturbs Lina about Michel's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Robert and Dorothy's wedding?
2. For what reasons does Edna begin to find her self-confidence again after becoming estranged from Harry?
3. For what reasons does Manuel want to move into the apartment with the terrace?
4. How does Michel seduce Lina?
5. Describe the scene with the four girls in Manuel's apartment on their second visit.
6. How is Maria finally able to overcome her aversion to sensuality?
7. Why does Dorothy become frigid to Robert and how does she attempt to handle it?
8. Why did the Viking woman get married?
9. Describe the two mystery women in "Sirocco."
10. What are Lina's views on lesbianism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of "Little Birds" is about submission and control. Analyze and discuss this in regards to the gender dynamics of these stories, the age of the characters (particularly the stories dealing with young women and older men), and how it relate to the power struggle found in many of the couples in this book. Also, discuss the outcomes of these struggles and how the relationship suffers or thrives. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of feminism in this book in the following format:
Part 1) The woman's free sexuality in "the Woman on the Dunes."
Part 2) Hilda's submissiveness in "Hilda and Rango," as well as Rango's depicted violent nature.
Part 3) Mandra, Mary, and Miriam from "Mandra."
Part 4) The narrator of "a Model" and her decisions to control and defend her sexuality how she chooses.
Part 5) The Viking princess of "Sirocco" and her relationships with her husband and friend in Shanghai.
Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How is sexual repression depicted in this book? How does a sexually repressed childhood (with conflicting messages) affect Dorothy and Edna of "Two Sisters?" Why is Lina repressed, despite her reciprocated attraction to her female friend? What about Maria from "the Maja?" How does this affect her marriage to Novalis and how does it affect his art? What do all of the repressed characters have in common? What changes their outlook on sex by the end of the stories and how does it fundamentally seem to change them?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)