|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Paul wish to take the women to see in "Mandra?"
(a) The String Man.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Marcel Marceau.
(d) Allen Ginsberg.
2. In "the Chanchiquito," why is a witch doctor called in to help the aristocratic lady?
(a) A chanchiquito ran up her skirt.
(b) The lady is struck dumb at the sight of a chanchiquito.
(c) The lady has a heart attack.
(d) The lady is startled by the chanchiquito and falls, hitting her head.
3. What would happen when Bijou would walk alone in the streets?
(a) Police would try to arrest her for prostitution.
(b) Women would throw things at her.
(c) Men would follow her.
(d) Animals would run away from her.
4. Why does Bijou not allow the painter to touch her before the event?
(a) She does not want her paint smeared.
(b) She does not want to ruin their non-sexual intimacy.
(c) She is frigid.
(d) She does not wish to be unfaithful to her lover.
5. What does Mandra do to Mary?
(a) She slaps Mary.
(b) She performs oral sex on her.
(c) She allows Mary to move in with her.
(d) She sets Mary up on a date.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary not want Mandra to meet her husband?
2. In what ways is the narrator's first modeling job indicative of the artists she will encounter in "A Model"?
3. How does the story "Hilda and Rango" end?
4. Why is Albert finally able to make love to Faye?
5. In what city does "Mandra" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Chanchiquito", what happens to the old lady in Laura's uncle's story?
2. Describe Mary's life, from the story "Mandra"
3. How are Paul and Miriam full of "aristocratic impudence?"
4. For what reasons is the narrator and the mysterious man at the end of "A Model" drawn together, eventually becoming lovers?
5. Describe Rango.
6. Describe the contrasts (physical and personality-wise) between Jan and Laura.
7. How does Hilda change throughout the course of this story?
8. How does Jan seduce Laura at the end of this story?
9. How does the narrator compare her attractiveness to Miriam's appeal?
10. In "A Model," why does the narrator become a model?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)