|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite having broken through her frigidness with Donald, what does Dorothy discover about her love life with Robert?
(a) Robert has never found her attractive.
(b) She still cannot be aroused by him.
(c) Her desire to be with Robert has returned.
(d) She was never attracted to Robert.
2. How does the woman on the beach help Louis?
(a) She gives him some water to settle his stomach.
(b) She slowly stimulates him back to arousal.
(c) She hides him in the bushes.
(d) She takes him back to her house.
3. What interrupts the tall woman's story to the narrator?
(a) Her roommate brings a tray of beverage to them.
(b) The roof begins to leak.
(c) The wind blows the door open.
(d) The narrator grows ill from the heat.
4. What is Harry's occupation?
(a) Social captain for cruise ships.
(b) Airline pilot.
(d) Portrait painter.
5. How do Louis and the woman spend time between bouts of love-making?
6. To where does the tall woman flee when she leaves her husband?
7. Why does the tall woman's husband refuse to make love to her?
(a) She is not a virgin.
(b) She is bigger than the Chinese women.
(c) Her hair is too long and he does not wish to disturb it.
(d) She does not smell correctly.
8. In the woman's story, why was the Russian going to be executed?
(a) He had entered the country illegally.
(b) He was a traitor.
(c) He had kidnapped a diplomat's child.
(d) He murdered a diplomat.
9. What does Lina claim about her experiences in Michel's apartment?
(a) She does not remember it.
(b) She was an unwilling participant.
(c) She was the instigator.
(d) She had planned to be seduced by Michel all along.
10. When Maria returns from the country, what does she discover in the studio?
(a) Novalis is having an affair.
(b) Novalis has committed suicide.
(c) Novalis is pleasuring himself with a painting of her.
(d) Novalis has destroyed every single painting of her.
11. What happens the day after Lina and the narrator visit Michel?
(a) Lina moves in with the narrator.
(b) Lina leaves for Paris.
(c) Lina enters a convent.
(d) Lina sleeps with the narrator.
12. While fixing up the new apartment, what thought keeps Manuel working?
(a) The idea of living across from a girls' school.
(b) The pride in his workmanship.
(c) His need to have a place to paint.
(d) Therese's happiness.
13. What is a sirocco?
(a) A thunderstorm from South America.
(b) A drought from India.
(c) A wind from Africa.
(d) A hurricane from Australia.
14. What is transpiring as the tall woman talks to her husband on the phone at her hotel?
(a) Her friend is sketching her form.
(b) Her friend is beginning to make love to her.
(c) Her friend is playing the guitar for her.
(d) Her friend is helping her pack her bags to run away again.
15. What does Maria believe about Novalis's new paintings and enthusiasm?
(a) He is painting only his fantasies.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He is ingesting certain drugs.
(d) He is merely replicating his one portrait of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. While using the toilet, why does Manuel leave the door to the bathroom open while the girls are in his apartment?
2. Why is the mysterious woman not afraid of Louis swimming with her?
3. What does Louis discover when he awakens the morning after making love to the woman?
4. What painting does Maria resemble?
5. Why does Lina hate the narrator's lovers?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)