|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stories does Michel tell as Lina dozes off?
(a) His art.
(b) His movies.
(c) His travels.
(d) His family.
2. Why does Lina hate the narrator's lovers?
(a) She mistakes her friend's cries of passion as cries of violence.
(b) The lovers had played a cruel prank on Lina years earlier.
(c) She is in love with the narrator.
(d) She believes they are not good enough for her friend.
3. What is Harry's occupation?
(a) Social captain for cruise ships.
(c) Airline pilot.
(d) Portrait painter.
4. Besides Robert, how does Edna find her self-confidence again?
(a) She begins to teach dance lessons to children.
(b) She begins to act on stage.
(c) She begins to paint.
(d) She begins to have anonymous sexual encounters.
5. What is Lina's mood whenever the narrator's lovers come to visit?
6. What does Lina appear to hate more than anything?
7. What is Manuel's favorite way of arousing himself?
(a) Men fighting.
(b) He likes to use a pillow.
(c) He likes to be watched by women.
(d) He writes down erotic thoughts.
8. When Maria returns from the country, what does she discover in the studio?
(a) Novalis has destroyed every single painting of her.
(b) Novalis is having an affair.
(c) Novalis has committed suicide.
(d) Novalis is pleasuring himself with a painting of her.
9. For what reason does the tall woman admit to having fallen in love with her husband in "Sirocco?"
(a) He supported her drug habit.
(b) He lived in China.
(c) He had a lot of money.
(d) He was taller than she.
10. After making love to Robert, why does Dorothy run away from him and her sister?
(a) She has become pregnant.
(b) She is angry at Robert for seducing her.
(c) She wants to punish Robert.
(d) She feels extremely guilty.
11. For what reasons does the tall woman's new friend find her attractive?
(a) Her height and strength.
(b) Her tanned skin.
(c) Her large eyes.
(d) Her sarcasm.
12. What do the girls see when Manuel's kimono slips open?
(a) That he is aroused.
(b) The scars on his legs.
(c) His abdomen.
(d) His chest.
13. Why is Manuel unhappy with the rooms he and his wife rent in the beginning of this story?
(a) It is too far away from his job.
(b) There are too many roaches.
(c) There is not enough light to paint.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood home.
14. What does Novalis do without Maria's knowledge while she sleeps?
(a) He paints her in the nude.
(b) He consults a lawyer for a divorce.
(c) He makes love to her.
(d) He hires nude models to sit for him.
15. What is the cause of Manuel's loss of sexual desire?
(a) He is self-loathing homosexual.
(b) He was beaten for masturbation.
(c) He can never simply make love to a woman.
(d) Therese is frigid.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason do Maria and Novalis have their first argument?
2. How does the narrator coax Lina into visiting Michel?
3. Though she refuses to engage in intercourse, what does Lina continually attempt to do to the narrator?
4. Why does the tall woman's husband refuse to make love to her?
5. Why does Robert become enamored of Dorothy?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)