|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs between Michel, Lina, and the narrator while at Michel's apartment?
(a) They have a huge fight.
(b) They have a threesome.
(c) They create a painting together.
(d) They smoke opium.
2. How does the woman on the beach help Louis?
(a) She takes him back to her house.
(b) She slowly stimulates him back to arousal.
(c) She gives him some water to settle his stomach.
(d) She hides him in the bushes.
3. What is Lina's mood whenever the narrator's lovers come to visit?
4. Despite having broken through her frigidness with Donald, what does Dorothy discover about her love life with Robert?
(a) She was never attracted to Robert.
(b) She still cannot be aroused by him.
(c) Robert has never found her attractive.
(d) Her desire to be with Robert has returned.
5. To what is Louis resistant the night he cannot sleep in "The Woman on the Dunes?"
6. What is the cause of Manuel's loss of sexual desire?
(a) He is self-loathing homosexual.
(b) He can never simply make love to a woman.
(c) Therese is frigid.
(d) He was beaten for masturbation.
7. What happens the day after Lina and the narrator visit Michel?
(a) Lina leaves for Paris.
(b) Lina sleeps with the narrator.
(c) Lina enters a convent.
(d) Lina moves in with the narrator.
8. Why is Edna able to spend so much time with her new lover, Robert?
(a) She tells her husband that Robert is in the seminary.
(b) Her husband has given her permission to have an affair.
(c) She tells her husband that Robert is gay.
(d) Her husband is gone on cruises for months at a time.
9. What time does "The Woman on the Dunes" start?
(b) Two in the morning.
(c) Ten at night.
(d) Four in the morning.
10. To where does Louis follow the mysterious woman?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The village.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The woods.
11. What is transpiring as the tall woman talks to her husband on the phone at her hotel?
(a) Her friend is helping her pack her bags to run away again.
(b) Her friend is sketching her form.
(c) Her friend is beginning to make love to her.
(d) Her friend is playing the guitar for her.
12. Why is no one able to recognize Maria in the nude portraits?
(a) Maria is too angry looking compared to her portrait.
(b) Novalis pretends that the model he uses is a really well-known one who is built the same.
(c) Novalis paints a different face on her.
(d) Maria is always veiled in public.
13. How does Maria react to her discovery in Novalis's studio at the end of "The Maja?"
(a) She gets drunk and begs him to paint her.
(b) She removes her clothes and offers herself to her husband.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She divorces him and joins a nunnery.
14. What do the girls see when Manuel's kimono slips open?
(a) That he is aroused.
(b) His abdomen.
(c) His chest.
(d) The scars on his legs.
15. What else happens the second the man penetrates the woman, according to her story in "The Woman on the Dunes?"
(a) The Russian is hanged.
(b) The man in front of her collapses.
(c) The Russian is shot before he can be hanged.
(d) A bottle of wine is thrown at the Russian.
Short Answer Questions
1. While fixing up the new apartment, what thought keeps Manuel working?
2. What disturbs Lina about Michel's apartment?
3. For what reasons does the tall woman's new friend find her attractive?
4. When promising to show the exotic birds to the schoolgirls, what does Manuel say is different about the bird from Brazil?
5. How does the narrator describe the tall woman on the beach in "Sirocco?"
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)