|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jack travel to to join the Seventh Calvary?
2. Who is Ralph Fielding Snell?
3. What does Jack believe happened to Sunshine and their son?
4. What does Jack think of Custer in his final moments?
5. Who does Jack find among the American dead, taking a scalp in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack learn when he attempts to convince the leader of the scouts to tell Custer about the size of the Indian group they are following?
2. How does Jack finally become a scout? Who is he to report to?
3. Who is Caroline fighting in the streets when Jack arrives in Cheyenne, Wyoming?
4. Who attacks the Cheyenne village where Jack is living at Washita?
5. What does the writer/editor say about his opinion of the truthfulness of Jack's story?
6. Why does Jack steal a soldier's uniform from a dead soldier?
7. What is the rumor about why George Custer has cut off his long hair?
8. What scam does Jack pull in order to afford to put Amelia into a good school?
9. Why does Custer rush the attack on the Sioux Indians?
10. What historic lawman does Jack meet while traveling with buffalo skinners? Whose life does this lawman save?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following bands of Indians, including information related to the time period in which this novel is set:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the one of the following settings in detail:
1) Little Big Horn
2) Denver, Colorado
3) Cheyenne villages
4) Platte River valley.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jack Crabbs? Why does the writer want to write a story about him? What is significant about Jack Crabbs' life? How old is Jack Crabbs? Is it possible for a person to live that long? Does Jack Crabbs age bring question to his claims? What took place in the seventy years between the end of Jack's story and his life? Why is this missing time significant? How does this missing time suggest something missing to Jack's story? Is Jack's story true?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)