|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Jack from the mule skinner?
2. Who does Old Lodge Skins tell Jack he ought to marry?
3. Who steals all of Jack's gold mining supplies on the way to Colorado?
4. What does Jack allow Muldoon to believe about him in chapter 8?
5. What illness does Jack suffer in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Old Lodge Skins' band of Cheyenne separated from the entire Cheyenne tribe?
2. Who adopts Jack shortly after his return to White society?
3. What happens to the business Jack builds in Denver?
4. Why does Jack go to Colorado?
5. What shocks Jack about being back among the White culture?
6. What is important about the coffee the wagon train carries?
7. What activity does Jack participate in to help him become a man?
8. Why does Younger Bear give Jack a Crow warrior's scalp? How does Jack respond?
9. Why does Jack decide to leave the Pendrake family?
10. What does Jack see when he follows Mrs. Pendrake to the back of the store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following literary elements of this novel in detail:
3) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following bands of Indians, including information related to the time period in which this novel is set:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following historical figures, comparing the history of their lives and the stories told about them in this novel:
1) George Armstrong Custer
2) Wild Bill Hickok
3) Walt Whitman
4) Wyatt Earp.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)