|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of an antelope does one of the braves force Jack to eat?
2. Who does Old Lodge Skins tell Jack he ought to marry?
3. How is the Crow warrior killed?
4. What expedition does Lavender claim one of his relatives traveled with?
5. Why does Jack engage in a fight with the Cheyenne at Plum Creek in chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime is Jack accused of shortly after returning to the White schools?
2. How does Old Lodge Skins help his hunters kill an entire herd of antelope?
3. What is important about the coffee the wagon train carries?
4. Why does Lavender believe he is related to the Cheyenne Indians?
5. Who is killed during a fight with Jack? What has the dead man left behind?
6. How does Jack come to arrive at Old Lodge Skins' tepee again?
7. What happens to Jack's family during a stage coach ride to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas?
8. What does Jack see when he follows Mrs. Pendrake to the back of the store?
9. Who comes to Jack's rescue during a fight with a mule skinner and helps him to recover from his illness?
10. Why does Jack decide to leave the Pendrake family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail:
2) Warring Cultures
3) Manifest Destiny
4) Lies and betrayal.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following bands of Indians, including information related to the time period in which this novel is set:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Younger Bear? Why does Younger Bear dislike Jack? Why do they become enemies when they are still young boys? Why does Younger Bear bring Jack the scalp of a Crow Indian he killed? Why does Jack insist that Younger Bear whose him a life? How does Younger Bear pay Jack back that one life? What is significant about this moment between the two men? Why does Younger Bear rejoice that Jack has survived his injuries? What will happen next between these two men?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)