|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expedition does Lavender claim one of his relatives traveled with?
(a) Louis and Clark.
(d) Poncho Villa.
2. Why does Jack get into a fight with one of the school children?
(a) The boy is smarter than Jack.
(b) The boy teases Jack.
(c) Jack is unhappy in white society.
(d) Jack is only playing in the Cheyenne way.
3. Why did the marriage not take place?
(a) The nurse/poet got cold feet.
(b) The nurse/poet married someone else.
(c) The nurse/poet was killed.
(d) The nurse/poet was homosexual.
4. How do Cheyenne teach their children?
(a) Through organized classes.
(b) Through example.
(c) Through language.
(d) Through storytelling.
5. Who does Jack find Mrs. Pandrake making love with?
(a) Mr. Pendrake.
(b) The shopkeeper.
(d) The shoemaker.
6. Why does Caroline decide to leave the Cheyenne village?
(a) She wants to find her mother.
(b) The Cheyenne cannot be trusted.
(c) The Cheyenne are unwelcoming.
(d) She wants to live among white civilization.
7. What does Old Lodge Skins tell Jack he plans to do at Bent's Fort?
(a) Sign away his lands.
(b) Sign a peace treaty.
(c) Attack the soldiers.
(d) Buy flour.
8. Where are Jack and his family heading on the stage coach when it is attacked by Indians in chapter 14?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Ft. Leavenworth.
(d) Santa Fe.
9. Who is Lavender?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Jack's school friend.
(c) The Pendrakes' son.
(d) A black servant of the Pendrakes.
10. What river do Caroline and Jack attempt to cross after leaving the carnage of the wagon train?
(d) Big Horn.
11. How does the fight end?
(a) The old friend recognizes Jack.
(b) The Indians retreat.
(c) A Pawnee scout kills Jack's Indian friend.
(d) Jack convinces his old friend of his identity.
12. Who acts as an heemaneh to Jack?
(a) A military chaplain.
(b) A civilian shopkeeper.
(c) His sister, Caroline.
(d) His brother, Bill.
13. What does Old Lodge Skins think will eventually happen to all the whites?
(a) They will kill each other.
(b) They will inhabit all the lands.
(c) They will all die of a terrible disease.
(d) The spirits will strike them down.
14. What is a heemaneh?
(a) Half man, half woman.
(b) A personal servant.
(c) A Cheyenne woman.
(d) A homosexual woman.
15. What profession does Pa take on later in life that drives him a little crazy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Contrary?
2. What does Old Lodge Skins do when a herd of antelope approach the prairie where he has been meditating?
3. How do the Cheyenne think they can overcome constant conflict with the whites?
4. What job do the Comanches give Jack after taking him captive in chapter 12?
5. What action does Old Lodge Skins decide to take against the Whites for their attack on the Sioux village?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)