|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jack when his business partners disappear?
(a) Great riches.
(c) Legal troubles.
(d) Financial ruin.
2. Who steals all of Jack's gold mining supplies on the way to Colorado?
3. How is the Crow warrior killed?
(a) A stray arrow from the battle strikes him in the head.
(b) Younger Bear scalps him.
(c) Jack shoots three arrows into his back.
(d) A Cheyenne warrior stabs him with a knife.
4. What job does Jack take soon after arriving in this new city?
(a) Guide for a mule train.
(b) Railroad worker.
(c) Buffalo hunter.
(d) Mule skinner.
5. Who possibly is the nurse/poet Caroline became engaged to during the Civil War?
(a) James Ryder Randall.
(b) Sydney Lanier.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Herman Melville.
6. How do Cheyenne teach their children?
(a) Through language.
(b) Through organized classes.
(c) Through storytelling.
(d) Through example.
7. What is Kane accused of doing?
(b) Impregnating a sixteen year old girl.
(c) Cheating at poker.
(d) Having an affair with a married woman.
8. Why are the Cheyenne reluctant to fight the whites?
(a) They have no guns.
(b) They know the whites are far more superior.
(c) They have no expectation of success.
(d) They do not have enough warriors.
9. What does Old Lodge Skins tell Jack he dreamed of?
(a) Soda shop elephant head spigots.
(c) Mrs. Pendrake.
(d) Leather shoes.
10. Who saves Jack from the mule skinner?
(a) Burns Red in the Sun.
(d) Old Lodge Skins.
11. Who stops Jack and Caroline from crossing the river after leaving the carnage of the wagon train?
(a) Shadow that Comes into Sight.
(b) Old Lodge Skins.
(c) Younger Bear.
(d) Morning Star.
12. How has Old Lodge Skins lost his sight?
(a) A fight with Younger Bear.
(b) Old age.
(c) Sand Creek Massacre.
(d) A hunting injury.
13. What does Jack do after losing his family?
(a) Spends all his money looking for his family.
(b) Becomes a buffalo hunter.
(c) Becomes an alcoholic.
(d) Spends all his time hunting the Indians.
14. Why does a Crow warrior attack Younger Bear and Jack?
(a) To steal their horses.
(b) To stop them from helping the Cheyenne warriors in stealing their horses.
(c) To take them captive and force them to grow up the Crow way.
(d) To take their belongings.
15. How do Cheyenne punish their children?
(a) Time out.
(d) Conditioning and shame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Pendrake take Jack to discuss sin?
2. What item does Younger Bear give Jack when he is healed?
3. Why does Jack engage in a fight with the Cheyenne at Plum Creek in chapter 15?
4. What language does Pa believe the Native Americans speak?
5. What does Jack allow Muldoon to believe about him in chapter 8?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)