|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trail does the wagon train that the Crabb family joins take?
(a) California Trail.
(b) Utah Trail.
(c) Donner Party Trail.
(d) New Mexico Trail.
2. How does Jack offend one of the Cheyenne children with whom he plays in chapter 3?
(a) By refusing to acknowledge an act of kindness.
(b) By playing their games the wrong way.
(c) By hitting the boy in the nose.
(d) By showing concern for a wound he caused.
3. Why does Jack leave the Pendrakes?
(a) Abuse by Mr. Pendrake.
(b) Abuse by Mrs. Pendrake.
(c) Mr. Pendrake's multiple affairs.
(d) Mrs. Pendrake's multiple affairs.
4. How do Cheyenne punish their children?
(b) Conditioning and shame.
(c) Time out.
5. How does Jack convince Burns Red in the Sun of his true identity?
(a) Shows him a birthmark.
(b) Tells him of a gift horse he gave him at Powder River.
(c) Tells him his nickname.
(d) Shows him a scar.
6. Who does Jack fight at Plum Creek?
(a) Younger Bear.
(b) Old Lodge Skins.
(c) Burns Red in Sun.
(d) Shadow that Comes in Sight.
7. Who steals all of Jack's gold mining supplies on the way to Colorado?
8. Why did the Whites attack a Sioux village in chapter 5?
(a) The Sioux attacked a wagon train.
(b) The Sioux trespassed on their farms.
(c) The Sioux stole their horses.
(d) The Sioux killed a sick cow.
9. What is a Contrary?
(a) A child who refuses to behave.
(b) A warrior who does everything backwards.
(c) A husband who refuses to live with his wife.
(d) A wife who refuses to have children.
10. What city does Jack go to after leaving the Pendrakes?
(a) Santa Fe.
(b) St. Louis.
(d) New York.
11. How does Jack do when he is returned to white schools?
(a) Well with the help of his adoptive mother.
(b) Poorly due to education differences from the Cheyenne.
(c) Well with the help of a teacher.
(d) Poorly due to language difficulties.
12. What item does Caroline use to protect herself and her mother from the Indians?
13. What does Old Lodge Skins do when a herd of antelope approach the prairie where he has been meditating?
(a) He calms the leader.
(b) He kills one for his family to eat.
(c) He shouts to make them leave.
(d) He runs the other direction.
14. What job does Jack take soon after arriving in this new city?
(a) Guide for a mule train.
(b) Buffalo hunter.
(c) Mule skinner.
(d) Railroad worker.
15. Who does Jack believe Mrs. Pendrake will take as her next lover?
(a) The shopkeeper.
(b) The shoemaker.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The schoolteacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Old Lodge Skins decide to take against the Whites for their attack on the Sioux village?
2. What does Jack do after losing his family?
3. Why does Jack get into a fight with one of the school children?
4. Who does Lavender believe he is related to?
5. Why does Caroline decide to leave the Cheyenne village?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)