|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Little Bee secure a taxi for the group?
2. What did Little Bee and her sister beg the couple to do?
3. What do the oil men demand from the couple in exchange for the girls' lives?
4. How long ago was Sarah and Andrew's vacation in Nigeria?
5. Why did Little Bee wish to escape Nigeria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Sarah going when Little Bee knocks on her door?
2. Why might the taxi company refuse to pick up immigrants?
3. Where do the girls end up staying the night?
4. What does Little Bee's lie to the taxi company tell the reader about her character?
5. Why does the taxi driver become angry and leave the girls at the detention center?
6. Who is Yvette?
7. What did the oil men demand from Sarah and Andrew in exchange for the girls' lives?
8. How did Little Bee and her sister meet Sarah and Andrew?
9. Why does Little Bee decide to leave the farm?
10. How does Little Bee know Andrew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Little Bee has said that Little Bee is not her true name, but is one that she created for herself while she and her sister were running from the oil men. Why did Little Bee change her name? How does her new name allow her to hide from her past? Do you think that Little Bee has hidden from her past very well? Why or why not?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The incident at Charlie's nursery school represents a turning point in the relationship between Little Bee and the O'Rourkes. What is the turning point? How does Little Bee's reaction to Charlie's pain change the way that Little Bee views Sarah and her son? Do you think that Little Bee's compassion for Charlie also extends toward Sarah? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In the end of the novel, Little Bee is returned home to face the nightmare she tried to hide from. Sarah and Charlie must watch, helpless, as Little Bee faces her destiny.
1) Do you like the ending? Why or why not?
2) Could things have ended differently for the characters?
3) Should things have ended differently for the characters?
4) What do you feel is the ultimate message of the story?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)