|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Culler, what do the authors of classical literature often hide within their words?
2. In terms of reading a literary work, Culler believes publication places what burden on a reader?
3. What nationality was Rousseau?
4. Culler suggests that cultural studies attempt to fight against __________.
5. Rousseau was concerned that what form of communication could be easily misinterpreted?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the Western culture, what does language help to express?
2. According to Chapter 2, why was it significant that many works of English literature allowed the low class worker to surpass the aristocrat?
3. How do literary theorists explain the procedure used by poetics?
4. According to Chapter 4, "Meaning and Interpretation," what does society have to do with the understanding of words?
5. Why is publishing considered a stamp of approval on a literary work?
6. What is the goal of cultural studies?
7. Does pop culture change the relevance of classical literature?
8. Based on Chapter 1, what is the purpose of the critique that often comes from literary theory?
9. What do theorists mean when they say that a reader is limited by his "horizon of expectations"?
10. In what way do word conventions vary globally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Literary performatives shape the words and phrases used in literature and conversation. Write a brief essay supporting or refuting the following statement, citing examples from the text to support your theory: Literary performatives have the power to change the way society communicates.
Essay Topic 2
For an author, the opportunity to be published is a hurdle to overcome when it comes to having a work declared literary. Why is publication so important to the literary process? Create an argument citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the five points of literature, citing specific examples to illustrate each point.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)