|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should appear at the end of a novel according to "Chapter 6, Narrative"?
(b) A reference to the narrator.
(c) A tie-in to the beginning.
(d) A metaphor for love.
2. According to Culler, when it comes to performative language, what is required to give a word or a phrase weight?
(c) Syllable count.
3. Who defined rhetoric as "the art of persuasion"?
4. In relationship to the "I" what does Culler suggest is a constant debate?
(a) Where it originates.
(b) Why it is important.
(c) What it means.
(d) If it matters.
5. For what type of performative theory was Judith Butler known?
(a) Political climate.
(b) Gender and sexuality.
(c) Roles in the workforce.
(d) Religious phrasing.
6. The use of what literary device requires the combination of language and imagination?
7. Using a word to represent a person, title, group, or similar is the use of __________.
(a) Trope Metonymy.
8. According to Chapter 6, what is the result of a great narrative?
(a) Opening the mind.
(b) Making money.
(c) Creating empathy.
(d) Encouraging spirituality.
9. What era defined rhetoric as "the art of eloquence"?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Industrial Age.
(c) The Modern Age.
(d) The Dark Ages.
10. Who was J.L. Austin?
(a) A British philosopher.
(b) A Russian speaker.
(c) An American linguist.
(d) A French linguist.
11. When it comes to the "I" created in society, theorists suggest that the "I" is subjected to what influences?
(b) All of these.
12. Who is not a character in third-person narration?
(a) The antagonist.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The protagonist.
(d) The family members.
13. What presents a story through the use of verbal patterning?
14. What is the literary device that substitutes a part for the whole or vice versa?
15. Who said "the child is father to the man"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Culler suggests that performative language aids is the understanding of ______________.
2. What is the literary device that is an over exaggeration of a word or idea?
3. According to Culler, what is rhetoric?
4. In literature, what is it called when events take place opposite of expectation?
5. According to Culler, what attracts readers to a character?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)