|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Identity, Identification, and the Subject.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not a character in third-person narration?
(a) The antagonist.
(b) The family members.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The protagonist.
2. According to Culler, what is rhetoric?
(a) The study of language technique.
(b) The study of fictional essays.
(c) The study of scholarly rules.
(d) The study of poetry.
3. What, according to Culler, is unique about cultural studies?
(a) Its global acceptance.
(b) Its dual nature.
(c) The disrespect for literature.
(d) The absence of fact.
4. What theory believes that language limits the ability to think?
(a) Johnson-Kater results.
(b) Sisley-Spear formula.
(c) Morton-Gran conjecture.
(d) Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
5. Poetry has the capability to influence what in its reader, according to Culler?
(a) All of these.
(b) Intense sorrow.
(c) Overwhelming empathy.
(d) Great joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thanks to cultural studies, what has happened to many previously discarded works?
2. According to Culler, when it comes to performative language, what is required to give a word or a phrase weight?
3. According to Culler, when it comes to performative language, words create their own __________.
4. According to theorists, what will a reader not measure equally when it comes to Shakespeare versus a dime-store novel?
5. In the West, most theorists believe language allows for _____________.
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)