|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Identity, Identification, and the Subject.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 2, when a story is told with non-fiction historical references, it is __________.
(a) A work of literary fiction.
(c) A literary narrative.
(d) A literary rambling.
2. According to Chapter 5, why is rhythm important to a poem?
(a) It confuses the reader.
(b) It creates mystery.
(c) It draws in the reader.
(d) It repels the reader.
3. Readers often respond emotionally to a particular use of language due to _____________.
(a) Personal experience.
(b) Difficulty of text.
(c) Level of education.
(d) Context of the words.
4. Who was Judith Butler?
(a) A published fiction writer.
(b) A Harvard professor.
(c) An American philospher.
(d) A famous French speaker.
5. What form of criticism believes that the understanding of text is contingent upon reader knowledge and experience?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Culler's opinion, to what is rhetoric related?
2. Many theorists believe that understanding the meaning of words in a text is ___________.
3. Culler explains the nature of discourse on theory as _________.
4. What is the term given to literature that is routinely studied in schools and universities?
5. According to Chapter 7, a declarative statement that promises action can be defined as ________________.
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)