|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Identity, Identification, and the Subject.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ferdinand de Saussure?
(a) An American journalist.
(b) A Swiss linguist.
(c) A Russian leader.
(d) A German professor.
2. According to Culler, when it comes to performative language, what is required to give a word or a phrase weight?
(c) Syllable count.
3. Culler reports that theory has the ability to undo which of the following?
(a) What is offensive.
(b) What is incorrect.
(c) What is blasphemous.
(d) What is already known.
4. Who asserts that the interpretation of metaphor is often reliant upon another metaphor?
5. What should appear at the end of a novel according to "Chapter 6, Narrative"?
(a) A tie-in to the beginning.
(b) A reference to the narrator.
(c) A metaphor for love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed that linguists have the ability to help others speak, read, and understand never seen before words and sentence structures?
2. According to Culler, what do the authors of classical literature often hide within their words?
3. To what types of topics did Foucault attempt to give historical relevance?
4. According to Chapter 6, what is the purpose of withholding information from a reader?
5. Thanks to cultural studies, the literary canon has succeeded in _____________.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)