|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Performative Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What era defined rhetoric as the study of structuring powers for discussion?
(a) The Elizabethean Age.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) Modern Times.
2. In Chapter 7, performative language phrases are not required to be _____________.
(c) None of these.
3. Interpretation is important in language because it can affect ______________.
(a) The meaning of a text.
(b) Who wrote the text.
(c) Its prestige.
(d) Who will buy the text.
4. According to Chapter 5, how should poems be read?
(a) In sections.
(b) In private.
(c) By the author.
(d) All at once.
5. Focault warned the masses to be wary of _________.
(a) Starving artists.
(b) Reading as a hobby.
(c) Poets as prophets.
(d) Words as gospel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century did Rousseau write?
2. Cultural studies aim to demonstrate how people are affected by ___________.
3. Many theorists believe that understanding the meaning of words in a text is ___________.
4. According to Chapter 4, what effect should the words have on the reader?
5. Who was against the ideas that performative language could be humorous?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)