|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Performative Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what types of topics did Foucault attempt to give historical relevance?
(d) All of these.
2. What culture put literary works into only three groups?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Swiss.
(d) The Americans.
3. Who created the theory of interpellation?
(a) Louis Althusser.
(b) Jacques Bouvois.
(c) Shane Montgomery.
(d) Jacob Traventhorn.
4. In English literature, many lead characters were written in order to inspire ______________.
5. Why do theorists study performance utterances?
(a) To understand Latin phrases.
(b) To question the realism in words.
(c) To question political bias in writing.
(d) To understand whether language acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should appear at the end of a novel according to "Chapter 6, Narrative"?
2. Who defined rhetoric as "the art of persuasion"?
3. In what century did Rousseau write?
4. According to Chapter 4, how many specific elements do theorists analyze when considering a word in the text?
5. What is the purpose of literary theory, according to "What is Theory?"
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)