|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Performative Language.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, what does literary theory often critique?
(a) Common sense ideas.
(b) Words of the wealthy.
(c) Proven facts.
(d) Unnecessary documentation.
2. Who was Judith Butler?
(a) A famous French speaker.
(b) An American philospher.
(c) A published fiction writer.
(d) A Harvard professor.
3. What should appear at the end of a novel according to "Chapter 6, Narrative"?
(a) A metaphor for love.
(b) A tie-in to the beginning.
(d) A reference to the narrator.
4. According to Foucault, what form of communication had power over social ideals?
(b) The newspaper.
(d) Online resources.
5. According to Culler, what is a classic ideal that appears in many novels?
(a) Truth and justice.
(b) Understanding of oneself.
(c) A moral lesson.
(d) True love.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Goethe, "life devoid of passion" is ___________.
2. What type of performance describes a state of affairs that can be proven to be accurate or inaccurate?
3. What is the absolute, end result of theory, as expressed in Chapter 1, "What is Theory?"
4. What era defined rhetoric as "the art of eloquence"?
5. By creating a vague story or lead character In literature, Culler suggests that the author hopes to achieve what response from the reader?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)