|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Literature and Cultural Studies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of literary theory, according to "What is Theory?"
(a) To transcend ignorant readers.
(b) To tame the masses.
(c) To prove writing wrong.
(d) To reflect on ideas.
2. Rousseau was concerned that what form of communication could be easily misinterpreted?
(c) Speech and writing.
3. Culler reports that theory has the ability to undo which of the following?
(a) What is blasphemous.
(b) What is incorrect.
(c) What is already known.
(d) What is offensive.
4. How old is modern literature?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) One century.
(c) Two decades.
(d) Two centuries.
5. Culler reports that cultural studies typically focus on the lifestyle of whom?
(b) Ordinary men.
(c) Famous people.
(d) World travelers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Goethe, "life devoid of passion" is ___________.
2. According to Chapter 2, literature must contain ____________ in order to qualify as literature.
3. What type of literary work is "Jane Eyre"?
4. What form of literary theory tries to bring back voices from the past in an effort to create lost history?
5. What nationality was Rousseau?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)