|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, What Is Literature and Does It Matter?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality was Rousseau?
2. According to Chapter 2, which of the examples below cannot be considered literature?
(a) Instructional manuals.
(b) All of these.
(c) Private journals.
(d) The phone book.
3. According to Chapter 2, literature must contain ____________ in order to qualify as literature.
(a) Social reform.
(b) Proper sentence structure.
(c) Words with a deeper meaning.
(d) Biblical references.
4. Focault warned the masses to be wary of _________.
(a) Poets as prophets.
(b) Starving artists.
(c) Words as gospel.
(d) Reading as a hobby.
5. What non-fiction literary device does "Jane Eyre" mimic?
(a) A diary.
(b) An autobiography.
(c) A biography.
(d) An article.
Short Answer Questions
1. Culler reports that theory has the ability to undo which of the following?
2. Based on "What is Theory?" which of the following words can be used to describe theory?
3. According to Chapter 2, when a story is told with non-fiction historical references, it is __________.
4. What was the primary theme of "The Sorrows of Young Werther"?
5. What type of literary work is "Jane Eyre"?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)