|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Literature and Cultural Studies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Derrida discover in Rousseau's work?
(a) Mystical images.
(b) Russian phrases.
(d) Many structures.
2. Who was Michel Foucault?
(a) A Swiss banker who knew poetry.
(b) A Russian doctor who loved literature.
(c) A French intellectual historian.
(d) A Spanish immigrant professor.
3. Literature as an aesthetic object attempts to encourage the reader to explore a relationship between _____________.
(a) Form and function.
(b) Words and physical placement.
(c) Desire and words.
(d) Content and form.
4. Culler explains the nature of discourse on theory as _________.
(d) All of these.
5. In what century did Rousseau write?
(a) 18th century.
(b) 12th century.
(c) 17th century.
(d) 19th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. Culler reports that cultural studies typically focus on the lifestyle of whom?
2. Thanks to cultural studies, the literary canon has succeeded in _____________.
3. In Chapter 1, "What is Theory?" Culler defines theory as the opportunity to __________.
4. Examining the time period prior to modern literature, in what fashion are these works of fiction analyzed for literary theory?
5. What form of literary theory tries to bring back voices from the past in an effort to create lost history?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)