|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Literature and Cultural Studies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Culler, if society prefers to invest time in popular culture, how might classical literature be affected?
(a) Writers may stop writing.
(b) It would cost less.
(c) It might go out of print.
(d) It will become obsolete.
2. What is the significance of published literature, according to Culler?
(a) It can catapult an author to fame.
(b) A book is paid for.
(c) A book is declared worthy to read.
(d) A book is available for the masses.
3. According to Chapter 2, literature must contain ____________ in order to qualify as literature.
(a) Proper sentence structure.
(b) Social reform.
(c) Biblical references.
(d) Words with a deeper meaning.
4. Some scholars fear that literature could inspire _____________.
(a) All of these.
5. Interpellation studies the effect of ______________ in shaping an individual's actions.
(a) Being pigeonholed.
(d) Being abused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has literary theory tried to do for the classics?
2. On a grand scale, scholars believe literature to have the capability to speak for __________.
3. What has literary theory helped add to the study of classics?
4. Cultural studies aim to demonstrate how people are affected by ___________.
5. Theory rarely results in __________, according to Culler.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)