|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Rhetoric, Poetics, and Poetry.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thanks to cultural studies, what has happened to many previously discarded works?
(a) They were rediscovered.
(b) They were debated in schools.
(c) All of these.
(d) They were revamped.
2. What presents a story through the use of verbal patterning?
3. In Chapter 1, "What is Theory?" Culler defines theory as the opportunity to __________.
(b) All of these.
4. What era defined rhetoric as "the art of eloquence"?
(a) The Dark Ages.
(b) The Industrial Age.
(c) The Modern Age.
(d) The Renaissance.
5. What literary form do parts of Robert Burns' poetry imitate?
(c) Folk songs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary device that substitutes a part for the whole or vice versa?
2. According to Chapter 4, what is a secret message placed within the broader scope of a text?
3. What type of study is approached clinically?
4. Culler suggests that the occasional confusion that results from the use of metaphor is due to __________.
5. According to Ferdinand de Saussure, the elements of language become unique based on their _________.
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)