|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Rhetoric, Poetics, and Poetry.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "the child is father to the man"?
2. In literature, what is it called when events take place opposite of expectation?
(b) Point of view.
3. Literature, according to Culler, has the ability to do what for ideology?
(a) Praise it.
(b) Destory it.
(c) Elevate it.
(d) All of these.
4. According to theorists, how many people are required to obtain multiple interpretations of a text?
5. According to Chapter 4, what effect should the words have on the reader?
(a) An effect on imagination.
(b) A subliminal message.
(c) All of these.
(d) An emotional response.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of literary theory, according to "What is Theory?"
2. What was the primary theme of "The Sorrows of Young Werther"?
3. What has literary theory tried to do for the classics?
4. Who defined rhetoric as "the art of persuasion"?
5. On a grand scale, scholars believe literature to have the capability to speak for __________.
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)