|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Rhetoric, Poetics, and Poetry.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of poetry allows the reader to listen in on the narrator's thoughts?
(a) Lyric poetry.
(c) Nursery rhymes.
(d) None of these.
2. What idea did Rousseau help to develop?
(b) Financial awareness.
(d) The benefits of marriage.
3. Culler suggests that the occasional confusion that results from the use of metaphor is due to __________.
(a) A literal interpretation.
(b) Repeat metaphors.
(c) The lyricism of the phrase.
(d) The invention of new words.
4. Who believed language is made up of a system of differences?
(a) Ferdinand de Saussure.
(d) Jackson Shephardberg.
5. What type of lyric is used in sublime poetry?
(a) Extravagant lyric.
(b) Prolonged lyric.
(c) Advanced lyric.
(d) Foolish lyric.
Short Answer Questions
1. Examining the time period prior to modern literature, in what fashion are these works of fiction analyzed for literary theory?
2. Interpellation studies the effect of ______________ in shaping an individual's actions.
3. Culler reports that cultural studies typically focus on the lifestyle of whom?
4. Who is Ferdinand de Saussure?
5. In order to understand language as a system, what must a linguist examine regarding its meaning and form?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)