|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should politics engage with questions of sexual ideology, according to Eagleton?
2. What are Northrop Frye's three recurrent patterns of symbolism in literature?
3. When did Sigmund Freud develop psychoanalysis?
4. According to Eagleton, why is it an illusion to think that he can be present to us in what he says and writes?
5. From a structuralist perspective, why could literature could no longer claim to be a unique discourse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sigmund Freud's Oedipus complex and why is it significant?
2. Why does Eagleton claim that Northrop Frye's work emphasized the "utopian root'" of all literature and what is his response?
3. For Roland Barthes, what does literature embody and why is it significant?
4. How did post-structuralism develop and why is it significant?
5. What is Eagleton's main critique of the some forms of post-structuralism and why is it significant?
6. What is significant about the ways in which Sigmund Freud treated women and men?
7. Who is Ferdinand de Saussure and what was his contribution to the field of literary theory?
8. What was the significance of the Prague structuralists?
9. What does Julia Kristeva define as "semiotic" and why is it significant?
10. What is the dominant ideology within academia and what are its major problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sigmund Freud's Oedipus complex.
1) Identify and analyze the three stages of human development-- the oral, anal, and phallic stage.
2) Compare and contrast Freud's views on males and females.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which the concept of literature has changed from the seventeenth century to the twentieth century.
1) What was considered literature in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries?
2) How do the romantic movement transform the definition of literature?
3) What was the function of literature during the Victorian era?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Roland Barthes work on signs. In particular, how did he categorize signs in terms of their function?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)