|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did France's student movement strike against the authoritarianism of the educational institutions and in solidarity with the working-class?
2. According to Eagleton, the women's movement is not just about women having equal status and power as men, it is what?
3. According to the feminist philosopher Julia Kristeva, the language of the semiotic is a means of what?
4. According to Eagleton, who would an ideal reader be for a structuralist?
5. What is the name of two principles Sigmund Freud identified?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four areas Eagleton discusses rhetoric should target that would bring about transformation in society?
2. According to Eagleton, why should the notion of literary theory be abolished?
3. What was a "healthy" sign according to Roland Barthes and why is it significant?
4. What is Sigmund Freud's Oedipus complex and why is it significant?
5. How did Northrop Frye attempt to combine the formalist focus on the text with the essence of new American criticism?
6. How did post-structuralism develop and why is it significant?
7. During the 1960s and 1970s why did feminist scholars reject Marxist thought on the left?
8. What are the three stages of development in psychoanalysis and how do they relate to literary theory?
9. For Roland Barthes, what does literature embody and why is it significant?
10. How does Julia Kristeva view language and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast structuralism with phenomenology.
1) What are the basic tenets of each school of thought?
2) What are the similarities between them?
2) What are their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss modernism as a literary movement.
1) Identify two modernist writers and four characteristics of modernist literature.
2) Discuss the emergence of modernism and the literary theories that developed from this movement.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jacques Lacan's work on language as it relates to psychoanalytic theory. How does Lacan's work differ from Freud's?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)