|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the early 1930s, the study of English literature became what kind of pursuit?
2. What is the name of the pioneering essay the Russian formalist wrote that is the "beginnings of the transformation which has taken over literary theory in this century"?
3. Eagleton provides the analogy of finding a "scrap of writing from a long-vanished civilization" to make what point about deciphering its meaning?
4. What proposes a "severe problem" for Husserl's theory?
5. Who wrote "What is Literature" on literary reception and was published in 1948?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "concretize" mean and why is it significant?
2. What was the romantics relationship to the symbol and why is it significant?
3. What is hermeneutics and how is it significant?
4. What period of literature did the critic Roland Barthes focus on and why is it significant?
5. What kind of thought does a literary education not encourage, according to Eagleton, and what does this signify?
6. Why is literature an unstable term, according to Eagleton?
7. In the late-sixteenth and early-seventeenth centuries, what was considered "fact" and what was considered "fiction," and how is it significant?
8. What is Eagleton's goal in writing "Literary Theory: An Introduction"?
9. What was the dominant ideology of eighteenth-century England?
10. How does Eagleton define elitism in literary studies and why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the arguments for and against literary theory.
1) According to Eagleton, why have people opposed literary theory?
2) What is Eagleton's position regarding literary theory?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss liberal humanism.
1) Identify liberal humanism as a group, viewpoint, and methodology.
2) What is liberal humanism an instrument for, according to Eagleton?
3) Are liberal humanists politically conscious? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the work of Northrop Frye with Stanely Fish. What are their methodologies?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)