|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, what becomes the "panacea for all problems" as part of the romantics' aesthetic theory at the turn of the eighteenth century?
2. What is the name of the economist Eagleton discusses in his preface?
3. According to Eagleton, when did the Russian formalists emerge?
4. According to Eagleton, as the first industrialist capitalist nation, England becomes what kind of state?
5. Both F.R. Leavis and Edmund Husserl seek to grasp the thing in itself, or the ______for Husserl and ______for Leavis.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eagleton's argument regarding the literary canon as the "unquestioned" great tradition of national literature?
2. What does "concretize" mean and why is it significant?
3. What is the significance of Viktor Shklovsky's 1917 essay "Art as Device," according to Eagleton?
4. Why does Eagleton argue that the demarcation between fiction and fact in writing is "questionable"?
5. What did the critic E.D. Hirsch, Jr. believe about the reader's relationship to a text?
6. What is "Tristram Shandy" and why is it significant?
7. Who developed reception theory and why is it significant?
8. How does phenomenological criticism view literature and what is Eagleton's response?
9. What is Eagleton's major problem with formalism and why is it significant?
10. What is the reach of the "theoretical revolution" and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between individualism and authoritarian capitalism? Why does Eagleton argue that literary theory's attempt to validate the individual as disconnected from society a myth?
Essay Topic 2
What is the basic problem of literary theory, according to Eagleton? Why does Eagleton that "literature" should not be any more important in terms of a field of study as film or television shows? For Eagleton, why is rhetoric a more comprehensive and constructive discipline and methodology?
Essay Topic 3
Define the notion of estrangement and choose two examples from the book as evidence for this concept.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)