|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacques Derrida label any thought system which depends on an unassailable foundation?
2. Why should politics engage with questions of sexual ideology, according to Eagleton?
(a) Because sexism and gender roles are not deeply integrated in human experience.
(b) Because sexism and gender roles do not exist in human experience.
(c) Because sexism and gender roles are deeply integrated in human experience.
(d) Because sexism and gender roles should persist in human experience.
3. According to Eagleton, structuralism has proved that there is nothing _____ about codes.
4. What is the "final logical move" for literary theory, according to Eagleton?
(a) To recognize that it is an illusion.
(b) To privatize theory for the general public.
(c) To distance itself from the text.
(d) To subjugate literature for its own ends.
5. Why do feminists embrace the work of Jacques Lacan, despite the fact that he was contemptuous of the women's movement?
(a) Because Lacan rejected Freudianism.
(b) Because Lacan taught Freudianism.
(c) Because Lacan rewrote Freudianism.
(d) Because Lacan embraced Freudianism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the object named literature, according to Eagleton?
2. What is a belief in "ultimate word, presence, essence, truth, or reality"?
3. In American deconstruction, why does literary criticism become an "ironic, uneasy business"?
4. According to Eagleton, "the idea that there are 'non-political' forms of criticism" is a what?
5. How are "writable" texts different from ones that can be read?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)