|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, who would an ideal reader be for a structuralist?
(a) Someone who had intelligent codes at her or his disposal.
(b) Someone who had the right codes at her or his disposal.
(c) Someone who had all the codes at her or his disposal.
(d) Someone who didn't have any codes at her or his disposal.
2. According to the Soviet semiotician Yury Lotman, a poetic text is "semantically _________."
3. According to Jacques Lacan, what stage does a child first develop an ego?
(a) During the post-Oedipal stage.
(b) During the mirror stage.
(c) During the Oedipal stage.
(d) During the imaginary stage.
4. The English philosopher J. L. Austin saw language as what?
5. The modern history of literary theory has been characterized by a flight from what?
(a) Shifting ideas.
(b) False doctrines.
(c) Real history.
(d) Absolute morality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Jacques Lacan's work is of particular interest to literary theorists?
2. Why do feminists embrace the work of Jacques Lacan, despite the fact that he was contemptuous of the women's movement?
3. What are the three points Eagleton notes about the method of structuralism?
4. From a structuralist perspective, why could literature could no longer claim to be a unique discourse?
5. According to Eagleton, structuralism has proved that there is nothing _____ about codes.
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)