|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Roland Barthes, what kind of literature attempts to conceal the constructed nature of language?
2. What aspect of Jacques Lacan's work is of particular interest to literary theorists?
(a) Lacan's work on language.
(b) Lacan's work on history.
(c) Lacan's work on religion.
(d) Lacan's work on women.
3. According to Eagleton, if structuralism examined the "product" of literature, but left out what?
(a) The material conditions that destroyed literature.
(b) The material conditions that produced literature.
(c) The immaterial conditions inherent in the product.
(d) The immaterial conditions that produced literature.
4. What year did France's student movement strike against the authoritarianism of the educational institutions and in solidarity with the working-class?
5. What does Jacques Derrida label any thought system which depends on an unassailable foundation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What text did Tzvetan Todorov attempt a grammatical analysis of so that the characters were nouns, their attributes adjectives, and actions verbs?
2. What is the root of the present crisis in literary studies, according to Eagleton?
3. Literary texts are code-productive, code-transgressive, and code_____.
4. What commonality does structuralism and phenomenology share, according to Eagleton?
5. What is NOT a material reality in the oppression of women?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)