|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the literary theorist, Mikhail Bakhtin, "linguistic community" was what kind of society?
2. From a structuralist perspective, why could literature could no longer claim to be a unique discourse?
(a) Because structures placed a hierarchy on texts other than literature.
(b) Because structures could not be found in literature.
(c) Because structures could be found in all texts.
(d) Because structures considered literature a base form of discourse.
3. What commonality does structuralism and phenomenology share, according to Eagleton?
(a) They both shut out the material world in order to understand our consciousness of it.
(b) They both immerse themselves in the material world in order to understand the subconscious.
(c) They both immerse themselves in the material world in order to become conscious of it.
(d) They both shut out the material world in order to revert to pre-consciousness.
4. According to Eagleton, structuralism has proved that there is nothing _____ about codes.
5. Why is structuralism "anti-humanist," for Eagleton?
(a) Because it rejected the myth that humanity was humane.
(b) Because it rejected the myth that individuality was humanist.
(c) Because it rejected the myth that meaning begins and ends with individual experience.
(d) Because it rejected the myth the individual experience begins and ends with structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sigmund Freud, what is the name of the complex whereby a child experiences an unconscious desire for sexual union with its same sex parent?
2. What year did France's student movement strike against the authoritarianism of the educational institutions and in solidarity with the working-class?
3. What literary movement, according to Eagleton, "brought structuralist and post-structuralist criticism to birth in the first place"?
4. According to Eagleton, why does Northrop Frye emphasize the "utopian root of literature"?
5. Who said "there is no cultural document that is not at the same time a record of barbarism"?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)