|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT a material reality in the oppression of women?
(b) Job Discrimination.
(c) Equal wages.
(d) Unequal wages.
2. According to Eagleton, "any method or theory which will contribute to the strategic goal of human emancipation" is what?
3. The transition from structuralism to post-structuralism is partly in response to what movement?
(a) Marxist's movement.
(b) Christian movement.
(c) Women's movement.
(d) Student movement.
4. According to Eagleton, what is the "point" of literary theory?
(a) Its history is part of the political and ideological history of our times.
(b) Its work creates the political and ideological forces in power.
(c) Its history is not a part of the political and ideological history of our times.
(d) Its work rejects the political and ideological forces in power.
5. Jacques Lacan argues that like _______ desire emerges from a lack, which it strives to fulfill.
6. According to Eagleton, structuralism is a ________of inquiry whereas semiotics is a ______ of study.
(a) Field; type.
(b) Method; field.
(c) Type; manner.
(d) Manner; field.
7. What aspect of Jacques Lacan's work is of particular interest to literary theorists?
(a) Lacan's work on history.
(b) Lacan's work on women.
(c) Lacan's work on religion.
(d) Lacan's work on language.
8. What does Sigmund Freud see as the "royal road" to the unconscious?
9. What is the difference between metaphor and metonymy?
(a) In metaphor one sign is substituted for another; in metonymy one sign is privileged over another.
(b) In metaphor one sign is subtituted for another; in metonymy one sign is associated with another.
(c) In metaphor one sign is privileged over another; in metonymy one sign is associated with another.
(d) In metaphor one sign is equal to another; in metonymy one sign is less than another.
10. According to Sigmund Freud, what is the name of the complex whereby a child experiences an unconscious desire for sexual union with its same sex parent?
(a) The Oedipus complex.
(b) The Medusa complex.
(c) The Eros complex.
(d) The Pandora complex.
11. According to Eagleton, the Western philosophical tradition has "consistently vilified" what?
12. What is the name of two principles Sigmund Freud identified?
(a) Ideal principle and reality principle.
(b) Rational principle and ideal principle.
(c) Pleasure principle and reality principle.
(d) Pleasure principle and rational principle.
13. Why do feminists embrace the work of Jacques Lacan, despite the fact that he was contemptuous of the women's movement?
(a) Because Lacan taught Freudianism.
(b) Because Lacan rejected Freudianism.
(c) Because Lacan rewrote Freudianism.
(d) Because Lacan embraced Freudianism.
14. What are Northrop Frye's four narrative categories at the root of all literature?
(a) Romantic, tragic, idealism, ironic.
(b) Comic, reality, idealism, tragic.
(c) Comic, romantic, tragic, ironic.
(d) Fiction, fact, reality, idealism.
15. According to the feminist philosopher Julia Kristeva, the language of the semiotic is a means of what?
(a) Undermining the symbolic order.
(b) Affirming the symbolic order.
(c) Understanding the symbolic order.
(d) Reproducing the symbolic order.
Short Answer Questions
1. Literary texts are code-productive, code-transgressive, and code_____.
2. Why is psychosis difficult to cope with, according to Sigmund Freud?
3. According to Eagleton, why is Shakespeare considered great literature?
4. According to Eagleton, structuralism has proved that there is nothing _____ about codes.
5. What are Northrop Frye's three recurrent patterns of symbolism in literature?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)