|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conclusion, Political Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "What is Literature" on literary reception and was published in 1948?
(a) Jean Paul Sartre.
(b) Roland Barthes.
(c) Stanley Fish.
(d) Wolfgang Iser.
2. Why is psychosis difficult to cope with, according to Sigmund Freud?
(a) Because psychosis is only treatable with shock therapy.
(b) Because psychosis is difficult to perceive.
(c) Because the psychotic has lost contact with reality.
(d) Because the psychotic is violent.
3. What year did Terry Eagleton's "Literary Theory: An Introduction" first appear?
4. What does Sigmund Freud call the first stage of sexual life?
(a) The phallic stage.
(b) The oral stage.
(c) The anal stage.
(d) The erogenous stage.
5. According to Eagleton, why is Hans-Georg Gadamer not concerned about bringing our cultural preconceptions to a literary work?
(a) Because unlike the literary work, the come from tradition.
(b) Because unlike the literary work, they come from modernity.
(c) Because like the literary work, they come from tradition.
(d) Because like the literary work, they come from modernity.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the last decades of the eighteenth-century, the word prosaic begins to acquire what a kind of connotation?
2. What is NOT a material reality in the oppression of women?
3. According to Eagleton, the subject in phenomenology was the source of all what?
4. What are Northrop Frye's four narrative categories at the root of all literature?
5. By the early 1930s, the study of English literature became what kind of pursuit?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)