|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conclusion, Political Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Eagleton discuss that is both a descriptive term to mean "literally untrue" as well as an evaluative term to mean "visionary" or "inventive"?
2. According to Eagleton, the approaches outlined in his book have implications where?
(a) Well beyond politics.
(b) Well beyond feeling.
(c) Well beyond literature.
(d) Well beyond language.
3. According to the Soviet semiotician Yury Lotman, a poetic text is "semantically _________."
4. What is "imaginative" literature or literature that is not necessarily true?
5. For Eagleton, hostility toward theory means what?
(a) Opposition to other people's theories.
(b) Acceptance to some people's theories.
(c) Acceptance to some people's theories and protective of one's own.
(d) Opposition to other people's theories and oblivion of one's own.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, "any method or theory which will contribute to the strategic goal of human emancipation" is what?
2. What is the difference between metaphor and metonymy?
3. What is the name of the Russian formalist who published the pioneering essay that is the "beginnings of the transformation which has taken over literary theory in this century"?
4. Who developed hermeneutics?
5. According to Eagleton, why did the Russian formalists NOT see a literary work as a vehicle for ideas, reflection of reality, or transcendental truth?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)