|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conclusion, Political Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, as the first industrialist capitalist nation, England becomes what kind of state?
(a) A free state.
(b) A perfect state.
(c) A police state.
(d) A wealthy state.
2. Why do feminists embrace the work of Jacques Lacan, despite the fact that he was contemptuous of the women's movement?
(a) Because Lacan taught Freudianism.
(b) Because Lacan embraced Freudianism.
(c) Because Lacan rejected Freudianism.
(d) Because Lacan rewrote Freudianism.
3. According to Eagleton, structuralism has proved that there is nothing _____ about codes.
4. According to Eagleton, William Empson "insists on treating poetry as a species of ______language."
5. What is the name of the economist Eagleton discusses in his preface?
(a) Gordon Tuck.
(b) Adam Smith.
(c) I. Fischer.
(d) J. M. Keynes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, "In the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, the word ______seems to have been used about true and fictional events."
2. For Eagleton, Gadamer's theory only holds if one makes what "enormous assumption"?
3. What are the three points Eagleton notes about the method of structuralism?
4. According to Eagleton, the formalists were not out to define literature but they were out to define what?
5. According to Eagleton, what kind of thought does literary education NOT encourage?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)