|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Conclusion, Political Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, formalism is the application of what to the study of literature?
2. For Eagleton, E.D. Hirsch attempts to "offer a form of knowledge" that is what?
3. According to the Soviet semiotician Yury Lotman, a poetic text is "semantically _________."
4. The Russian formalists rejected what kind of doctrines that had influenced literary criticism?
(a) Quasi-mystical fictional doctrines.
(b) Quasi-mystical symbolist doctrines.
(c) Quasi-mystical psychoanalytic doctrines.
(d) Quasi-mystical religious doctrines.
5. For Eagleton, what are the two ways in which literary theory can have a distinct purpose and identity?
(a) It can define itself in terms of other methods of inquiry and the manner of enquiry.
(b) It can define itself in terms of methods of inquiry or the object being enquired into.
(c) It can define itself in terms of methods of inquiry and the manner of enquiry.
(d) It can define itself in terms of eradicating inquiry or the object being enquire into.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the author whose story "Sarrasine" Roland Barthes examines in "S/Z"?
2. What are the three points Eagleton notes about the method of structuralism?
3. What kind of language does Eagleton say people think of literature as?
4. According to Eagleton, in the romantic aesthetic theory the meaning of the word literature became what?
5. According to Eagleton, if structuralism examined the "product" of literature, but left out what?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)