|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Psychoanalysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In American deconstruction, why does literary criticism become an "ironic, uneasy business"?
(a) Because it lays bare the illusoriness of meaning.
(b) Because it lays bare the permanence of meaning.
(c) Because it lays bare the temporality of meaning.
(d) Because it lays bare the physicality of meaning.
2. What is "imaginative" literature or literature that is not necessarily true?
3. According to Eagleton, the sentence "this is awfully squiggly handwriting" from Knut Hamsun's "Hunger" tells him its literary because of what reason?
(a) The facts.
(b) The context.
(c) The content.
(d) The ideas.
4. What commonality does structuralism and phenomenology share, according to Eagleton?
(a) They both shut out the material world in order to revert to pre-consciousness.
(b) They both immerse themselves in the material world in order to become conscious of it.
(c) They both shut out the material world in order to understand our consciousness of it.
(d) They both immerse themselves in the material world in order to understand the subconscious.
5. What is the example Eagleton provides of a metalanguage, where one sign-system denotes another sign-system?
(a) The relation between literary criticism and literature.
(b) The relation between philosophy and religion.
(c) The relation between literary criticism and religion.
(d) The relation between philosophy and literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, why is it an illusion to think that he can be present to us in what he says and writes?
2. From the viewpoint of Roland Barthes, Eagleton argues that "reading is less like a _______ than a _________."
3. According to Eagleton, the Russian formalist shifted their attention to the "material reality" of what?
4. According to Eagleton, the literary work in Romantic society is seen as a ________ that is in contrast to the "fragmented individualism" of capitalist society?
5. What is the name of the economist Eagleton discusses in his preface?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)