|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Psychoanalysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, what kind of age do we live in, where "meaning, like everything else, is expected to be instantly consumable"?
2. According to Eagleton, the Russian formalist shifted their attention to the "material reality" of what?
(a) The critic.
(b) The fiction.
(c) The text.
(d) The facts.
3. What are the three points Eagleton notes about the method of structuralism?
(a) It is idealistic not rational; it doesn't understand the obvious meaning of the text; and the narrative content is its meaning.
(b) It is rational not idealistic; it accepts the obvious meaning of the text; and the content of the narrative is its structure.
(c) It is analytic not evaluative; it refuses obvious meaning of the text; and the content of the narrative is its structure.
(d) It is evaluative not analytic; it refuses obvious meaning of the text; and the narrative content is its meaning.
4. According to Sigmund Freud, what distinguishes humans from other animals?
(a) We have unfulfilled desires.
(b) We are born helpless and dependent.
(c) We experience pain.
(d) We mature early and die later.
5. What is the name of the author whose story "Sarrasine" Roland Barthes examines in "S/Z"?
Short Answer Questions
1. For the Romantics, why was their vision of a just society was inverted into a nostalgia for an old and "organic" England?
2. According to Eagleton, why did the Russian formalists NOT see a literary work as a vehicle for ideas, reflection of reality, or transcendental truth?
3. According to Eagleton, why is E.D. Hirsch able to maintain his view that literary meaning is absolute and resistant to historical change?
4. What are Northrop Frye's four narrative categories at the root of all literature?
5. What kind of language does Eagleton say people think of literature as?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)