|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Psychoanalysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, who "harnessed this Romantic humanism to the cause of the working class" in the late nineteenth-century?
(a) William Morris.
(b) Lord Byron.
(c) Percy Shelley.
(d) Samuel Coleridge.
2. How did the Romantic artist reflect her or his work in its detachment from history itself?
(a) Because she or he was seen as a consumer of commodities who bought their goods for low pay.
(b) Because she or he was seen as a minor commodity who existed on the margins of society.
(c) Because she or he was seen as a producer of commodities who sold their goods for high pay.
(d) Because she or he was seen as a major commodity who existed within society.
3. According to Eagleton, the "very meaning of _______, ________ and _________ has undergone deep alteration."
(a) Film; viewing; education.
(b) Literature; reading; criticism.
(c) Power; authority; freedom.
(d) Art; theory; practise.
4. According to Eagleton, why did the women's movement reject the economic focus of classical Marxist thought?
(a) Because it failed to place sexual ideology at the heart of its theory and practice.
(b) Because it placed sexual ideology over the material conditions at the heart of its theory and practice.
(c) Because it succeeded in placing sexual ideology at the heart of its theory and practice.
(d) Because it failed to place material conditions over sexual ideology at the heart of its theory and practice.
5. According to Sigmund Freud, what distinguishes humans from other animals?
(a) We have unfulfilled desires.
(b) We are born helpless and dependent.
(c) We mature early and die later.
(d) We experience pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In structuralism, the relationship between the sign and what it refers to is what?
2. According to Eagleton, "theory was a way of _______ literary works from the ________of civilised sensibility'"
3. What genre of writing does Eagleton provide that is an example of writing that is NOT considered to be literature?
4. When did Sigmund Freud develop psychoanalysis?
5. What text did Tzvetan Todorov attempt a grammatical analysis of so that the characters were nouns, their attributes adjectives, and actions verbs?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)