|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Psychoanalysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, "if one were asked to provide a single explanation for the growth of English in the later nineteenth century" what would it be?
(a) The success of government.
(b) The success of religion."
(c) The failure of government."
(d) The failure of religion.
2. According to Eagleton, why is Hans-Georg Gadamer not concerned about bringing our cultural preconceptions to a literary work?
(a) Because like the literary work, they come from modernity.
(b) Because unlike the literary work, the come from tradition.
(c) Because like the literary work, they come from tradition.
(d) Because unlike the literary work, they come from modernity.
3. According to Eagleton, Stanley Fish's model excludes the possibility that there is a ______ of interpretations?
4. According to Eagleton, literature is definable "not according to whether it is fictional or "imaginative," because it uses language in ____ways."
5. According to Eagleton, "in the terminology of reception theory, the reader _________ the literary work, which is in itself no more than a chain of organized black marks on a page."
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of analysis is phenomenology, according to Eagleton?
2. For Eagleton, E.D. Hirsch attempts to "offer a form of knowledge" that is what?
3. What person is NOT included in the ranks of Russian formalists?
4. In structuralism, the relationship between the sign and what it refers to is what?
5. The transition from structuralism to post-structuralism is partly in response to what movement?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)