|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Phenomenology, Hermeneutics, Reception Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, why did the Russian formalists NOT see a literary work as a vehicle for ideas, reflection of reality, or transcendental truth?
(a) Because they saw language as obtuse, vague, and ephemeral.
(b) Because they saw language as a mode of speech for the wealthy.
(c) Because they saw language as words and not objects or feelings.
(d) Because they saw language as potentially empowering the masses.
2. For Eagleton, E.D. Hirsch attempts to "offer a form of knowledge" that is what?
3. What role does reception theory examine?
(a) The critic's role.
(b) The author's role.
(c) The teacher's role.
(d) The reader's role.
4. Who was Husserl's most famous pupil who broke with his system of thought?
(a) Walter Benjamin.
(b) Hannah Arendt.
(c) Ayn Rand.
(d) Martin Heidegger.
5. According to Eagleton, the Russian formalist shifted their attention to the "material reality" of what?
(a) The critic.
(b) The fiction.
(c) The facts.
(d) The text.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Russian formalists rejected what kind of doctrines that had influenced literary criticism?
2. According to Eagleton, when did the Russian formalists emerge?
3. For the economist Eagleton discusses, "those economists who dislike theory or claimed to get along better without it" were what?
4. According to Eagleton, William Empson "insists on treating poetry as a species of ______language."
5. According to Eagleton, "In the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, the word ______seems to have been used about true and fictional events."
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)