|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Rise of the English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The distinction between fact and fiction in defining literature is what?
2. According to Eagleton, "Literary Theory: An Introduction" has managed to reach readers beyond __________.
3. What is "imaginative" literature or literature that is not necessarily true?
4. According to the Russian formalist Osip Brik, Pushkin's "Eugene Onegin" would have been written if Pushkin had what?
(a) Been uneducated.
(b) Married early.
(c) Died young.
(d) Not lived.
5. According to Eagleton, the Russian formalist shifted their attention to the "material reality" of what?
(a) The text.
(b) The critic.
(c) The facts.
(d) The fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who silenced the Russian formalists, according to Eagleton?
2. What person is NOT included in the ranks of Russian formalists?
3. Eagleton argues that if literature includes much factual writing, it also excludes "quite a lot of" what?
4. What date does Eagleton settle on as the "beginnings of the transformation which has taken over literary theory in this century"?
5. How did the Romantic artist reflect her or his work in its detachment from history itself?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)