|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Rise of the English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, the approaches outlined in his book have implications where?
(a) Well beyond language.
(b) Well beyond politics.
(c) Well beyond literature.
(d) Well beyond feeling.
2. According to Eagleton, when did the Russian formalists emerge?
(a) Before WWII.
(b) During the Russian Revolution.
(c) Before the Bolshevik Revolution.
(d) After WWI.
3. What kind of language does Eagleton say people think of literature as?
4. Eagleton argues that reading literature in a new critical way was a recipe for what?
(a) Political ambition.
(b) Political consciousness.
(c) Political progress.
(d) Political inertia.
5. What word does Eagleton discuss that is both a descriptive term to mean "literally untrue" as well as an evaluative term to mean "visionary" or "inventive"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Viktor Shklovsky, what novel was "the most typical novel in world literature" because it impeded its own story-line so that it never gets off the ground?
2. According to Eagleton, who "harnessed this Romantic humanism to the cause of the working class" in the late nineteenth-century?
3. For Eagleton, how did the romantics usher a "forestalling of reasoned critical enquiry"?
4. Eagleton argues that the readership his book has attracted dispels the notion that literary theory is what?
5. Eagleton argues that a literary work in Romantic society becomes what rather than rational and mechanical?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)