|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction: What is Literature?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Russian critic Roman Jakobson, literature represents "organized ______committed on ordinary _______."
(a) Religion; writing.
(b) Protest; speech.
(c) Violence; people.
(d) Violence; speech.
2. According to Eagleton, what kind of thought does literary education NOT encourage?
(a) Irrational thought.
(b) Rational thought.
(c) Creative thought.
(d) Analytical thought.
3. According to Eagleton, formalism is the application of what to the study of literature?
4. The distinction between fact and fiction in defining literature is what?
5. What is the name of the pioneering essay the Russian formalist wrote that is the "beginnings of the transformation which has taken over literary theory in this century"?
(a) Film as Thought.
(b) Art as Device.
(c) Theory as Practise.
(d) Literature as Image.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, the "very meaning of _______, ________ and _________ has undergone deep alteration."
2. What person is NOT included in the ranks of Russian formalists?
3. According to Eagleton, "In the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, the word ______seems to have been used about true and fictional events."
4. According to Eagleton, when did the Russian formalists emerge?
5. For the economist Eagleton discusses, "those economists who dislike theory or claimed to get along better without it" were what?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)