|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Rise of the English.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the Romantic period, how is literature more than "idle escapism"?
(a) It is the acceptance of totalarian values rejected in English society.
(b) It is the affirmation of creative values expunged from English society.
(c) It is the celebration of totalarian values enforced in English society.
(d) It is the rejection of creative values celebrated in English society.
2. According to Eagleton, in the romantic aesthetic theory the meaning of the word literature became what?
3. According to Eagleton, what becomes the "panacea for all problems" as part of the romantics' aesthetic theory at the turn of the eighteenth century?
(a) The symbol.
(b) The word.
(c) The image.
(d) The text.
4. What kind of language does Eagleton say people think of literature as?
5. According to Eagleton, "if one were asked to provide a single explanation for the growth of English in the later nineteenth century" what would it be?
(a) The failure of religion.
(b) The success of religion."
(c) The success of government.
(d) The failure of government."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, what kind of age do we live in, where "meaning, like everything else, is expected to be instantly consumable"?
2. How do linguists describe the effect of language where "the texture, rhythm and resonance of words are in excess of their abstractable meaning."
3. The Russian formalists rejected what kind of doctrines that had influenced literary criticism?
4. What is the name of the economist Eagleton discusses in his preface?
5. According to Eagleton, formalism is the application of what to the study of literature?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)