|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Structuralism and Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, structuralism maintains that "individual units of any system have meaning only by virtue of" what?
(a) Their connection to religion.
(b) Their relations to one another.
(c) Their meaning for the critic.
(d) Their status in the world.
2. Who was Husserl's most famous pupil who broke with his system of thought?
(a) Martin Heidegger.
(b) Walter Benjamin.
(c) Hannah Arendt.
(d) Ayn Rand.
3. Who is the founder of modern structural linguistics?
(a) Northrop Frye.
(b) Ferdinand de Saussure.
(c) Roland Barthes.
(d) Stanley Fish.
4. According to Eagleton, eighteenth-century literature embodied more than social values, it also was an instrument for what?
(a) Education and oppression.
(b) Religion and redemption.
(c) Entrenchment and dissemination.
(d) Violence and abdication.
5. According to Eagleton, in the romantic aesthetic theory the meaning of the word literature became what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Northrop Frye's three recurrent patterns of symbolism in literature?
2. According to Eagleton, the French structural anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss did pioneering work on what?
3. According to Eagleton, what kind of age do we live in, where "meaning, like everything else, is expected to be instantly consumable"?
4. According to Eagleton, who "harnessed this Romantic humanism to the cause of the working class" in the late nineteenth-century?
5. For the economist Eagleton discusses, "those economists who dislike theory or claimed to get along better without it" were what?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)