|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Structuralism and Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proposes a "severe problem" for Husserl's theory?
2. According to Eagleton, structuralism is a ________of inquiry whereas semiotics is a ______ of study.
(a) Method; field.
(b) Type; manner.
(c) Field; type.
(d) Manner; field.
3. What role does reception theory examine?
(a) The author's role.
(b) The teacher's role.
(c) The reader's role.
(d) The critic's role.
4. What example from the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries does Eagleton provide that was not considered purely factual?
5. According to Eagleton, why is Hans-Georg Gadamer not concerned about bringing our cultural preconceptions to a literary work?
(a) Because unlike the literary work, they come from modernity.
(b) Because like the literary work, they come from tradition.
(c) Because like the literary work, they come from modernity.
(d) Because unlike the literary work, the come from tradition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between metaphor and metonymy?
2. According to Eagleton, eighteenth-century literature embodied more than social values, it also was an instrument for what?
3. Eagleton argues that a literary work in Romantic society becomes what rather than rational and mechanical?
4. Why is structuralism "anti-humanist," for Eagleton?
5. According to Eagleton, what kind of thought does literary education NOT encourage?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)