|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Structuralism and Semiotics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Eagleton, E.D. Hirsch attempts to "offer a form of knowledge" that is what?
2. What is the German word for how reality is not objective, but experienced and organized by an individual subject?
3. What are the three points Eagleton notes about the method of structuralism?
(a) It is analytic not evaluative; it refuses obvious meaning of the text; and the content of the narrative is its structure.
(b) It is evaluative not analytic; it refuses obvious meaning of the text; and the narrative content is its meaning.
(c) It is rational not idealistic; it accepts the obvious meaning of the text; and the content of the narrative is its structure.
(d) It is idealistic not rational; it doesn't understand the obvious meaning of the text; and the narrative content is its meaning.
4. According to Eagleton, the literary work in Romantic society is seen as a ________ that is in contrast to the "fragmented individualism" of capitalist society?
(a) Mysterious inorganic unity.
(b) Imperious inorganic unity.
(c) Imperious mechanical unity.
(d) Mysterious organic unity.
5. According to Eagleton, what becomes the "panacea for all problems" as part of the romantics' aesthetic theory at the turn of the eighteenth century?
(a) The word.
(b) The text.
(c) The image.
(d) The symbol.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the viewpoint of Roland Barthes, Eagleton argues that "reading is less like a _______ than a _________."
2. Eagleton argues that the readership his book has attracted dispels the notion that literary theory is what?
3. What is the name of the American hermeneuticist E.D. Hirsch Jr.'s famous 1967 book?
4. According to Eagleton, what happens when literary theory becomes "turgidly unreadable"?
5. According to Eagleton, structuralism exposed what "shocking truth"?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)