|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Post-Structuralism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Husserl's most famous pupil who broke with his system of thought?
(a) Martin Heidegger.
(b) Walter Benjamin.
(c) Hannah Arendt.
(d) Ayn Rand.
2. The Russian formalists rejected what kind of doctrines that had influenced literary criticism?
(a) Quasi-mystical psychoanalytic doctrines.
(b) Quasi-mystical religious doctrines.
(c) Quasi-mystical symbolist doctrines.
(d) Quasi-mystical fictional doctrines.
3. What is NOT a material reality in the oppression of women?
(a) Job Discrimination.
(c) Equal wages.
(d) Unequal wages.
4. What is the German word for how reality is not objective, but experienced and organized by an individual subject?
5. According to Eagleton, why is it an illusion to think that he can be present to us in what he says and writes?
(a) Because the language he uses is not a tool but something he is made of and therefore always divided.
(b) Because language is only a tool, not something he is made of.
(c) Because he is a concrete entity but language is not.
(d) Because he is no longer present in the world but in some other present in the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, why did intellectuals preoccupy themselves with language in the late-nineteenth and twentieth centuries?
2. According to Eagleton, why did the Russian formalists NOT see a literary work as a vehicle for ideas, reflection of reality, or transcendental truth?
3. According to Eagleton, the Russian formalist shifted their attention to the "material reality" of what?
4. According to the Russian critic Roman Jakobson, literature represents "organized ______committed on ordinary _______."
5. According to Viktor Shklovsky, what novel was "the most typical novel in world literature" because it impeded its own story-line so that it never gets off the ground?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)