|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words begin the taped message?
2. Where are the New Mexico State Police located?
3. What is inside the gasoline cans?
4. What does Leaphorn throw at the dog?
5. Where does O'Malley say Hoski went after Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leaphorn defeat the kidnappers?
2. What information does Father Benjamin tell Leaphorn about his family?
3. Why does Leaphorn decide against going to someone for help?
4. Where does Leaphorn know James Tso from?
5. How do the men try to kill Leaphorn in this section?
6. How do the kidnappers let the authorities know the hostages are still alive?
7. What is a skinwalker?
8. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
9. What one action seemed out of place for James Tso?
10. How does Benjamin Tso die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Tony Hillerman's previous books and contrast it with the LISTENING WOMAN in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
What do you think will now happen to the characters? How has the events of the story effected their characters? Are there some characters who find it easier to get over events than others?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)