|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of kidnapping does Tso think they are involved in?
2. What does Tso say he and his brother are saving the people from?
3. What case does Leaphorn say he wants to read about in Albuquerque?
4. What words begin the taped message?
5. What kind of cloud does the author say the cloud east of Short Mountain has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leaphorn kill the dog when it attacks him the second time?
2. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
3. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
4. Why did Leaphorn go to the canyon in the first place?
5. How do the men try to kill Leaphorn in this section?
6. What does the FBI say is the interesting thing about Tull?
7. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
8. How does Leaphorn find the groceries?
9. Describe how Leaphorn is attacked when he arrives at the cave.
10. Where does Leaphorn know James Tso from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Navajo Tribal life.
1. Who are the Navajos and how do they view life?
2. What influence have Navajos had on popular culture?
3. How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of Navajo life?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)