|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn throw at the dog?
2. What does Leaphorn say three dollars is a show of in Short Mountain country?
3. What kind of material have the men used to fasten Tso's ankles?
4. What word is stenciled across the lid of the gasoline cans?
5. What society does Witover ask Leaphorn if he knows about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the dragging sound frighten Leaphorn so much?
2. How do the men try to kill Leaphorn in this section?
3. Describe how Leaphorn is attacked when he arrives at the cave.
4. What does Leaphorn find out about Tull in this section?
5. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
6. How does Leaphorn defeat the kidnappers?
7. How does Leaphorn find the groceries?
8. What problems does Leaphorn have at the beginning of Chapter 13?
9. What is a skinwalker?
10. What does the FBI say is the interesting thing about Tull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Leaphorn rescue the hostages? Were there any other ways Leaphorn could have rescued the hostages? What meaning does it give the story that all the hostages escape unharmed?
Essay Topic 2
LISTENING WOMAN is part of the detective genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Leaphorn series help to set the template for similar books? Do modern books still use the ideas the author uses in Listening Woman?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)