|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of juvenile subject two?
2. Where does Milton Silver live?
3. What does Leaphorn have to find before Tull and Goldrim arrive with the second set of questions?
4. What is inside the boxes?
5. What kind of car does the author describe as battered green?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tull and his men rob the armored vehicles?
2. Why did Leaphorn go to the canyon in the first place?
3. Why does Leaphorn think Theodora and Benjamin are in trouble?
4. What information does Father Benjamin tell Leaphorn about his family?
5. How do the kidnappers let the authorities know the hostages are still alive?
6. How does Benjamin Tso die?
7. Why does Leaphorn decide against going to someone for help?
8. What was James Tso's plan?
9. Why does Leaphorn refuse to talk to Theodora about Benjamin?
10. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Leaphorn rescue the hostages? Were there any other ways Leaphorn could have rescued the hostages? What meaning does it give the story that all the hostages escape unharmed?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Hillerman develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
How accurate is Tony Hillerman's representation of the Navajo tribe? In what way does Leaphorn have the characteristics of a Navajo member? How does he use the story and character to create his representation?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)