|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is stenciled across the lid of the gasoline cans?
2. What has the dog taken from Leaphorn?
3. What does Tso say he and his brother are saving the people from?
4. What does Leaphorn say tells him that he will die of suffocation?
5. What words begin the taped message?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Benjamin say is his relationship with Theodora?
2. What new information does Witover give Leaphorn?
3. Why is the name Haas important?
4. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
5. What information does Father Benjamin tell Leaphorn about his family?
6. How do the kidnappers let the authorities know the hostages are still alive?
7. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
8. How does Leaphorn find his way to the canyon?
9. How did Tull and his men rob the armored vehicles?
10. What is a skinwalker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the kidnappers plans? What does it say about the character of James Tso that he wants to avenge the death of 11 other Indians? Are there any weaknesses in Tso's plan?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Hillerman develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)