|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the clan Begay is a member of?
2. What does Leaphorn say three dollars is a show of in Short Mountain country?
3. How does Margaret describe the policeman she last talked to?
4. What does a man say they will do if Leaphorn does not come down from the box?
5. What does Leaphorn use as a club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Leaphorn know James Tso from?
2. Why did Leaphorn go to the canyon in the first place?
3. What does Benjamin say is his relationship with Theodora?
4. How does Leaphorn kill the dog when it attacks him the second time?
5. What was James Tso's plan?
6. How do the men try to kill Leaphorn in this section?
7. What information does Father Benjamin tell Leaphorn about his family?
8. What problems does Leaphorn have at the beginning of Chapter 13?
9. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
10. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Leaphorn's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Leaphorn hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Leaphorn ideas about life?
3. How has Leaphorn's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Hillerman develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)