|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Milton Silver live?
2. What does the author say slants into the falling water?
3. What does the water Leaphorn drinks taste of?
4. How does the author describe the sky at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What kind of meat are the Dinees roasting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Father Benjamin tell Leaphorn about his family?
2. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
3. What does Benjamin say is his relationship with Theodora?
4. How does Leaphorn defeat the kidnappers?
5. Where does Leaphorn know James Tso from?
6. What is a skinwalker?
7. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
8. Why does the dragging sound frighten Leaphorn so much?
9. What problems does Leaphorn have at the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. How does Leaphorn find his way to the canyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Tony Hillerman's previous books and contrast it with the LISTENING WOMAN in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
LISTENING WOMAN is part of the detective genre.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Leaphorn series help to set the template for similar books? Do modern books still use the ideas the author uses in Listening Woman?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)