|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn use as a club?
2. How does the author describe the sound Leaphorn hears at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. What does Leaphorn think will kill him if the flames don't?
4. What is the name of the clan Begay is a member of?
5. What is the name of the cake the Dinnees prepare for the ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
How does Leaphorn rescue the hostages? Were there any other ways Leaphorn could have rescued the hostages? What meaning does it give the story that all the hostages escape unharmed?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)