|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Witover call a crazy son of a bitch?
2. What does Leaphorn say dies in his throat?
3. What case does Leaphorn say he wants to read about in Albuquerque?
4. What does Jackie like to wear on his head?
5. What kind of cloud does the author say the cloud east of Short Mountain has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the name Haas important?
2. Why does Leaphorn refuse to talk to Theodora about Benjamin?
3. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
4. What is a skinwalker?
5. How does Leaphorn kill the dog when it attacks him the second time?
6. What new information does Witover give Leaphorn?
7. How does Leaphorn defeat the kidnappers?
8. How do the kidnappers let the authorities know the hostages are still alive?
9. Why does Leaphorn think Theodora and Benjamin are in trouble?
10. Why did Leaphorn go to the canyon in the first place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think will now happen to the characters? How has the events of the story effected their characters? Are there some characters who find it easier to get over events than others?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motives of the criminals? How would the meaning of the book change if the criminals were successful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)