|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn say the Kiows use the sun as a symbol of?
2. How does the author describe the sky at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Whose voice can Tso and Leaphorn hear as they walk through the cave?
4. What is the name of the cake the Dinnees prepare for the ceremony?
5. Who does Leaphorn hear crying in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was James Tso's plan?
2. Why does Leaphorn think Theodora and Benjamin are in trouble?
3. Why is it so difficult for Leaphorn to leave his position?
4. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
5. Why does Leaphorn refuse to talk to Theodora about Benjamin?
6. How did Tull and the others escape by helicopter?
7. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
8. Why did Leaphorn go to the canyon in the first place?
9. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
10. What one action seemed out of place for James Tso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Leaphorn's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Leaphorn hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Leaphorn ideas about life?
3. How has Leaphorn's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)