|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cake the Dinnees prepare for the ceremony?
2. What word is stenciled across the lid of the gasoline cans?
3. What answers does Goldrim give Whitey?
4. Who does Leaphorn say usually knows everything?
5. How does Margaret describe the policeman she last talked to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so difficult for Leaphorn to leave his position?
2. How did Tull and the others escape by helicopter?
3. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
4. What new information does Witover give Leaphorn?
5. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
6. Why does Leaphorn refuse to talk to Theodora about Benjamin?
7. How do the kidnappers let the authorities know the hostages are still alive?
8. How does Leaphorn find the groceries?
9. How does Benjamin Tso die?
10. Why does Leaphorn decide against going to someone for help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the kidnappers plans? What does it say about the character of James Tso that he wants to avenge the death of 11 other Indians? Are there any weaknesses in Tso's plan?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How accurate is Hillerman's representation of criminal behavior? How does he use the story and character to create his representation?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)