|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is it taboo to kill?
2. Who does Witover call a crazy son of a bitch?
3. What kind of cigarettes does Steiner have?
4. What constellation does Leaphorn notice in this section?
5. What kind of cloud does the author say the cloud east of Short Mountain has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men try to kill Leaphorn in this section?
2. How do the kidnappers let the authorities know the hostages are still alive?
3. Why does Leaphorn refuse to talk to Theodora about Benjamin?
4. How does Leaphorn find the groceries?
5. What new information does Witover give Leaphorn?
6. What one action seemed out of place for James Tso?
7. Why does Leaphorn think Theodora and Benjamin are in trouble?
8. How did Tull and the others escape by helicopter?
9. Why does Leaphorn decide against going to someone for help?
10. How does Leaphorn kill the dog when it attacks him the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Leaphorn rescue the hostages? Were there any other ways Leaphorn could have rescued the hostages? What meaning does it give the story that all the hostages escape unharmed?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)