|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What constellation does Leaphorn notice in this section?
2. What is the name of the cake the Dinnees prepare for the ceremony?
3. What has goldrims dropped into the cave entrance?
4. What does Leaphorn say he will use to kill the dog and the men?
5. What does the water Leaphorn drinks taste of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leaphorn kill the dog when it attacks him the second time?
2. What does Leaphorn find out about Tull in this section?
3. What does Leaphorn learn about the Boy Scouts in this section?
4. How does Leaphorn escape the fire?
5. What does Benjamin say is his relationship with Theodora?
6. Where does Leaphorn know James Tso from?
7. How does Leaphorn find his way to the canyon?
8. How did Tull and his men rob the armored vehicles?
9. Why does Leaphorn refuse to talk to Theodora about Benjamin?
10. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How accurate is Hillerman's representation of criminal behavior? How does he use the story and character to create his representation?
Essay Topic 3
What are the motives of the criminals? How would the meaning of the book change if the criminals were successful?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)