|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn say tells him that he will die of suffocation?
2. What does the water Leaphorn drinks taste of?
3. What are the Arizona Police describing on Leaphorn's radio?
4. What kind of painting does Margaret say the old man had said had been spoiled?
5. What happened to John Tull when he was thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Witover give Leaphorn?
2. What makes Leaphorn the perfect officer for the Tso case?
3. How does Leaphorn find the groceries?
4. How does Leaphorn kill the dog when it attacks him the second time?
5. What does the FBI say is the interesting thing about Tull?
6. What information does Father Benjamin tell Leaphorn about his family?
7. What problems does Leaphorn have at the beginning of Chapter 13?
8. How did Tull and the others escape by helicopter?
9. Why is the name Haas important?
10. What does Benjamin say is his relationship with Theodora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How accurate is Tony Hillerman's representation of the Navajo tribe? In what way does Leaphorn have the characteristics of a Navajo member? How does he use the story and character to create his representation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Navajo Tribal life.
1. Who are the Navajos and how do they view life?
2. What influence have Navajos had on popular culture?
3. How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of Navajo life?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does Hillerman develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)