|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mercedes smell like inside?
2. What group is Leaphorn a member of?
3. What does Leaphorn ask Judy to show him?
4. Why does McGinnis think it is unlikely a Navajo is responsible for the killings?
5. In which state does Frederick Lynch live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three open cases Leaphorn currently has on the go?
2. Why does Leaphorn visit Basti in this section?
3. What new information does Leaphorn find out when he reviews the listening woman's interview?
4. What information does Leaphorn have about the Mercedes?
5. What does Leaphorn think about the Listening Woman's interview with the police?
6. What does Theodora Adams represent to Benjamin?
7. What did Tso ask McGinnis to write to his grandson?
8. What does Leaphorn find out about Adams at the beginning of this section?
9. What new information does McGinnis give Leaphorn about the man with the dog in this section?
10. Why does McGinnis leave a For Sale sign outside his business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the motives of the criminals? How would the meaning of the book change if the criminals were successful?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)