|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first decides to try and help Lisa Shilling?
(a) Tracy Shilling.
(b) Mary Nell Fickett.
(c) Elizabeth Frazer.
(d) Betsy Goodman.
2. The first person to suspect that perhaps Lisa Shilling did have a mental illness was...
(a) Mary Nell Fickett.
(b) Mrs. Shilling.
(c) Mr. Shilling.
(d) Betsy Goodman.
3. Lisa Shilling spends her six-week vacation in Florida doing what?
(a) Goofing off at Disneyworld.
(b) Staring at the ocean.
(c) Babysitting her older sister's two children.
(d) Canoeing through the Everglades.
4. What is the profession of Betsy Goodman's father ?
(a) He's an insurance salesman.
(b) He's a reverend.
(c) He's a psychiatrist.
(d) He's a school guidance counselor.
5. The novel is set in what U.S. State?
(c) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Betsy Goodman is most-fascinated with which actor/actress?
2. The narrator of the novel is...
3. In the novel's title "Lisa, Bright and Dark", to what does the term "Bright" refer?
4. The opening chapter of the novel is a conversation held in the kitchen belonging to which family?
5. What sport does Brian Morris play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth Frazer gradually become the de facto decision-maker of what is and is not good for Lisa Shilling?
2. Why does Lisa Shilling find herself attracted to Elizabeth Frazer, as a potential friend?
3. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Shilling ignore their daughter's repeated assertions that she is mentally ill?
4. What kind of a job does Rev. Fickett do as a church reverend?
5. Who is the narrator in chapter one?
6. Why is Betsy Goodman the youngest of the major protagonists?
7. What aspect of Mary Nell Fickett's personality is demonstrated by her voluminous reading of psychology textbooks?
8. Why does Lisa Shilling believe that she is suffering form mental illness?
9. Why does the narrator spend so much time establishing which protagonist is better looking, which is more intelligent, and which is from a wealthier family?
10. Why is chapter one presented in italic type face?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)