|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alais asks whether she ever really loved Henry, particularly before Rosamund came into his life, how does Eleanor respond?
2. Henry tells Alais that he realized what?
3. Where does Act 1, Scene 6 take place?
4. Why does Philip say he proclaimed his love for Richard?
5. When Richard says he never writes anyone, what does Philip do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor and Henry frequently banter.
Part 1) Give two examples. Why do these arguments take place?
Part 2) What is hidden by this banter? How do you know this?
Part 3) How is arguing and bantering used throughout the play to conceal other issues? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used in this play.
Part 1) Give one example of symbolism. What does it symbolize?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this symbolism?
Part 3) How does this symbolism enhance the play for the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Philip are in a relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. Were you surprised by this relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this knowledge of his relationship with Philip change your view of Richard?
Part 3) How is it used as foreshadowing? What does Richard want from his family? How does his needs compare to the needs of his brothers?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)