|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eleanor pulls out a small knife and begins to do what with it?
2. What does Eleanor ask Henry, regarding the Vexin?
3. How does Eleanor say she would have been happier?
4. What does Henry say he has to get for John?
5. With what does Eleanor enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene end?
2. What do the boys do when they believe they are trapped in the wine cellar?
3. What does Richard do when Philip mentions their relationship to his father?
4. What does Henry remind Eleanor, regarding her behavior towards him?
5. How does Eleanor stop Richard from killing John?
6. What does Philip tell Richard to do, when they hear Henry calling for Philip?
7. How does John feel about Henry? How does Henry learn of this?
8. How does Henry react to what Alais says he must do to his sons?
9. How is it learned that there is a romance between Philip and Richard?
10. How does Philip want to help John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters and many of the circumstances of this play are matters of historical record.
Part 1) Describe these characters. Why might the author use real people?
Part 2) What circumstances might be real? How do you know this?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for putting real characters into both real and fictional circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Philip manipulates the brothers.
Part 1) How does he do this? Why does he do this?
Part 2) Why do the brothers trust him?
Part 3) Who manipulates him? What does this reveal about the person who manipulates him?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor says she had no intention of causing Henry's death.
Part 1) Is she telling the truth? How do you know?
Part 2) Why does she say this?
Part 3) What does this reveal about her character? Has she changed throughout the course of the play? Was she keeping part of herself secret until now? Use the play to support your response.
This section contains 1,816 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)