|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Eleanor drinks her wine, what does she recall?
2. What does Geoffrey say when John continues to hesitate?
3. What does Eleanor say will happen if if Alais does not marry Richard?
4. For how long has Henry kept Eleanor imprisoned?
5. As Henry and Eleanor finish putting up the holly, they banter about whether Henry truly misses whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry react when Eleanor agrees to sign whatever he wishes for a little peace?
2. What takes place between Alais and Henry at dawn?
3. What is revealed about Philip's purpose for his actions?
4. What does Henry say he has realized while Eleanor has been in prison?
5. How do the others respond to John's not inheriting the throne?
6. How does Richard mockingly refer to Henry? Describe the argument that continues after this comment.
7. What do the brothers do at the beginning of the scene?
8. How is it learned that there is a romance between Philip and Richard?
9. What takes place when Henry enters?
10. How does Philip want to help John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor and Henry have a love-hate relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. Why do they have this type of relationship?
Part 2) How does this relationship affect their family?
Part 3) Is anything resolved, regarding this relationship, by the end of the play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Chess is used as a metaphor.
Part 1) How is it used as a metaphor? Why?
Part 2) What does this metaphor reveal about each character?
Part 3) When is chess used as a metaphor? Why is it used during those specific scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used in this play.
Part 1) Give one example of symbolism. What does it symbolize?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this symbolism?
Part 3) How does this symbolism enhance the play for the audience?
This section contains 1,922 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)