|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor say she would have been happier?
2. Where does this play place several historical characters, principally King Henry II of England and his queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine?
3. What does John admit to Henry?
4. What does Henry suggest that the family start doing?
5. How does Henry respond when Eleanor asks whether he ever loved her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the first scene take place? According to Henry, what is a futile gesture that Alais makes?
2. What does Richard do when Philip mentions their relationship to his father?
3. How does Eleanor respond when Alais asks about her feelings for Henry?
4. Where are Richard and his brothers? Why?
5. What do the boys do when they believe they are trapped in the wine cellar?
6. What does Henry say he has realized while Eleanor has been in prison?
7. How does Richard mockingly refer to Henry? Describe the argument that continues after this comment.
8. What does Eleanor do once she realizes she now has an advantage?
9. How does Henry respond when Eleanor agrees to his plan with one condition?
10. How does Eleanor respond when John asks if she truly cares?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters and many of the circumstances of this play are matters of historical record.
Part 1) Describe these characters. Why might the author use real people?
Part 2) What circumstances might be real? How do you know this?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for putting real characters into both real and fictional circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor says she had no intention of causing Henry's death.
Part 1) Is she telling the truth? How do you know?
Part 2) Why does she say this?
Part 3) What does this reveal about her character? Has she changed throughout the course of the play? Was she keeping part of herself secret until now? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor changes, emotionally, as the play progresses.
Part 1) How does one know a change occurs in her?
Part 2) Why does this change occur?
Part 3) Is this change permanent? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)