|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Henry suggest Philip wait?
2. Of what does Alais accuse Eleanor?
3. Henry brings up Rosamund, which in turn, leads Eleanor to do what?
4. What look does Alais say she recognizes in Henry's eyes?
5. What does Geoffrey tell John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry act towards Alais? What is the excuse he gives to Eleanor?
2. What do the boys do when they believe they are trapped in the wine cellar?
3. Why is the Vexin essential to Henry?
4. How does Eleanor react when Geoffrey asks why he feels only indifference from his parents?
5. What is revealed about Philip's purpose for his actions?
6. How does Henry speak to Philip?
7. Why is Philip there?
8. How does John feel about Henry? How does Henry learn of this?
9. What does Henry tell Alais about his enemies?
10. Why does Henry want Richard to have the crown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alais puts pressure on Henry.
Part 1) What kind of pressure does she put on him?
Part 2) Why does Alais put pressure on him? How does it affect him? Why does it affect him this way?
Part 3) What does the pressure she puts on him reveal about him?
Essay Topic 2
Chess is used as a metaphor.
Part 1) How is it used as a metaphor? Why?
Part 2) What does this metaphor reveal about each character?
Part 3) When is chess used as a metaphor? Why is it used during those specific scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor and Henry frequently banter.
Part 1) Give two examples. Why do these arguments take place?
Part 2) What is hidden by this banter? How do you know this?
Part 3) How is arguing and bantering used throughout the play to conceal other issues? Why?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)