|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry refers to an ancient British king named ____________, whom he describes as having carved his kingdom up to give to his children, something he says he'll never do.
2. Of what does Richard accuse Eleanor?
3. What does Henry tell her when he sees her put this on?
4. Why does Henry say this person should inherit the crown?
5. To whom was Eleanor once married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry react to what Alais says he must do to his sons?
2. How does Eleanor threaten Henry?
3. How does Richard mockingly refer to Henry? Describe the argument that continues after this comment.
4. What would Alais like to see happen to Eleanor?
5. What does Philip tell Richard to do, when they hear Henry calling for Philip?
6. How does Eleanor stop Richard from killing John?
7. What does Henry say about Eleanor's smile? How does he respond when she asks whether he ever loved her?
8. How does John feel about Henry? How does Henry learn of this?
9. How does Philip want to help John?
10. Why is the Vexin essential to Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters and many of the circumstances of this play are matters of historical record.
Part 1) Describe these characters. Why might the author use real people?
Part 2) What circumstances might be real? How do you know this?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for putting real characters into both real and fictional circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
This play seems to end where it began.
Part 1) How is this true? What have the characters gained, if anything, throughout the course of this play?
Part 2) Why would the playwright have his play end similarly to how it begins?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on this play, as a whole? Do you have any suggestions for the playwright? If so, what are they? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Henry has strong feelings for Alais.
Part 1) How does he realize he has strong feelings for her?
Part 2) Do his newly realized feelings change the way he acts towards her? Why or why not?
Part 3) Does he love her? Why or why not? Is he capable of love? Why or why not?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)