|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Eleanor say she almost won?
2. How does Henry respond when Alais asks when it is safe to believe him?
3. When Richard responds with a pointed remark about Henry's being with Alais, of what does Eleanor remind him?
4. What does Henry tell Eleanor is the reason for the way he talks to Alais?
5. What does Henry offer Eleanor as they prepare to go in to meet their subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eleanor threaten Henry?
2. Where does the first scene take place? According to Henry, what is a futile gesture that Alais makes?
3. What plans do the boys make once their mother arrives?
4. What discussion takes place between Philip and Geoffrey?
5. How does Henry speak to Philip?
6. How is Henry trying to upset Eleanor?
7. How does Henry act when John leaves, upset?
8. How much of an enemy can Alais be?
9. How is it learned that there is a romance between Philip and Richard?
10. How does Henry act towards Alais? What is the excuse he gives to Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chess is used as a metaphor.
Part 1) How is it used as a metaphor? Why?
Part 2) What does this metaphor reveal about each character?
Part 3) When is chess used as a metaphor? Why is it used during those specific scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor and Henry have different perspectives on love.
Part 1) What is each character's perspective on love? Compare these two views.
Part 2) How does this affect their relationships with others and each other?
Part 3) What might be the reason for their differing perspectives? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor and Henry frequently banter.
Part 1) Give two examples. Why do these arguments take place?
Part 2) What is hidden by this banter? How do you know this?
Part 3) How is arguing and bantering used throughout the play to conceal other issues? Why?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)