|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Alais accuse Eleanor?
2. Richard says he is going to do everything in his power to have what?
3. What does John admit to Henry?
4. How does Henry respond when Eleanor asks whether he ever loved her?
5. What will Henry's plans do for Alais, as well as make John king and Richard powerless?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John enter? What is Eleanor's response?
2. What does Geoffrey say can happen now that the others trust him?
3. What does Philip tell Richard to do, when they hear Henry calling for Philip?
4. About what is this play?
5. How does Eleanor threaten Henry?
6. What takes place between Eleanor and Richard?
7. How does Eleanor react when Geoffrey asks why he feels only indifference from his parents?
8. How does Henry respond when Eleanor agrees to his plan with one condition?
9. What takes place when Henry enters?
10. How does Henry react to what Alais says he must do to his sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play seems to end where it began.
Part 1) How is this true? What have the characters gained, if anything, throughout the course of this play?
Part 2) Why would the playwright have his play end similarly to how it begins?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on this play, as a whole? Do you have any suggestions for the playwright? If so, what are they? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The dialogue is important.
Part 1) Describe the dialogue.
Part 2) Is the dialogue engaging? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is important about the dialogue? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor says she had no intention of causing Henry's death.
Part 1) Is she telling the truth? How do you know?
Part 2) Why does she say this?
Part 3) What does this reveal about her character? Has she changed throughout the course of the play? Was she keeping part of herself secret until now? Use the play to support your response.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)