|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry announce?
2. What happens as the brothers bicker?
3. Why does Henry ask Alais to stay?
4. What does Henry tell Eleanor is the reason for the way he talks to Alais?
5. How might Henry use the Vexin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard do when Philip mentions their relationship to his father?
2. What do the brothers do at the beginning of the scene?
3. Why is Philip there?
4. How does the scene end?
5. How does Henry react to what Alais says he must do to his sons?
6. What does Geoffrey say can happen now that the others trust him?
7. How does Philip want to help John?
8. What does Eleanor bring to her sons?
9. How does Henry speak to Philip?
10. How does Henry act towards Alais? What is the excuse he gives to Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard and Philip are in a relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. Were you surprised by this relationship? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this knowledge of his relationship with Philip change your view of Richard?
Part 3) How is it used as foreshadowing? What does Richard want from his family? How does his needs compare to the needs of his brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Henry has strong feelings for Alais.
Part 1) How does he realize he has strong feelings for her?
Part 2) Do his newly realized feelings change the way he acts towards her? Why or why not?
Part 3) Does he love her? Why or why not? Is he capable of love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
All the characters and many of the circumstances of this play are matters of historical record.
Part 1) Describe these characters. Why might the author use real people?
Part 2) What circumstances might be real? How do you know this?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for putting real characters into both real and fictional circumstances?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)