|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do to try to get Alais to obey him?
(a) He bribes her.
(b) He bullies her.
(c) He tortures her.
(d) He blackmails her.
2. Richard enters, complaining about what?
(a) How he does not like himself.
(b) How they are all Henry's prisoners.
(c) How he would never want to be king.
(d) How he is in love with Alais.
3. How does Richard react when Henry reveals that Eleanor has given him the Aquitaine in exchange for freedom?
(a) He angrily refuses to go through with the ceremony, accusing Eleanor of lying to him and refusing to give her the Aquitaine.
(b) He is unsure as to what to do.
(c) He is embarrassed that he had trusted his father.
(d) He is surprised that he had fallen into this trap.
4. After negotiating use of land and horses, why does Richard say he never wrote?
(a) He cannot spell.
(b) He did not know what to say.
(c) He does not trust Philip.
(d) He did not think Philip would answer.
5. As Philip exits, how does Richard refer to Henry?
(a) As a lion.
(b) As a bear.
(c) As a snake.
(d) As an eagle.
6. What does Henry say that he will give Eleanor if she gives him the Aquitaine?
(a) His love.
(b) Her freedom.
(d) Her bedchamber.
7. What does Eleanor do when Richard pulls out a dagger and makes as if to kill John?
(a) She stops him with a poetically written speech.
(b) She screams at him to stop.
(c) She tells him to do it already.
(d) She hands him another, sharper dagger.
8. Of what does Richard remind Philip?
(a) He cannot stand him.
(b) He has not said he loves him.
(c) He wants to break up with him.
(d) He loves him.
9. What does Eleanor say to them?
(a) Do not hurt each other. I do not want blood on my carpet.
(b) People with their differences and hatreds are the origins of war but they could also be the origins of peace.
(c) Go ahead and kill each other. I am tired of dealing with the lot of you.
(d) Stop already!
10. What does Eleanor begin to sing?
(a) The carol Alais was singing at the beginning of the scene.
(b) Her favorite song.
(c) A song she had learned as a child.
(d) Another song.
11. What does Richard say is the only thing he wants from Henry?
(a) His money.
(b) His crown.
(c) His affection.
(d) His head.
12. Eleanor agrees, but adds a condition. What is that condition?
(a) Henry must find a new lover.
(b) Richard and Alais marry right away.
(c) Henry must only love her.
(d) Richard must be king.
13. What do Geoffrey and John do when Richard is heard offstage?
(a) They call to him.
(b) They climb out the window.
(c) They hide behind tapestries as he enters.
(d) They run out of the room.
14. When Geoffrey exits, what does Eleanor turn to Richard and tell him?
(a) To make an alliance with Philip at any cost.
(b) To kill his brothers.
(c) To find Henry.
(d) To bring Philip to her.
15. What happens as Geoffrey and Philip discuss what alliances they could make if Geoffrey were to inherit the throne?
(a) John jumps out from behind a tapestry and accuses Geoffrey of betraying him.
(b) Eleanor arrives and wants to join the alliance.
(c) Henry runs into the room and asks what is going on.
(d) Richard jumps out from behind the bed and wants to join the alliance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alais say Eleanor sees when she looks at Henry?
2. What does Henry convince Alais?
3. What reminds John that he agreed to join with Philip in a war against Henry?
4. Why does she tell Geoffrey this?
5. Eleanor realizes she now has an advantage, and tells Geoffrey what?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)