|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eleanor do when Richard pulls out a dagger and makes as if to kill John?
(a) She tells him to do it already.
(b) She stops him with a poetically written speech.
(c) She hands him another, sharper dagger.
(d) She screams at him to stop.
2. What reminds John that he agreed to join with Philip in a war against Henry?
(a) John receives a note from Philip asking how many soldiers he needs.
(b) John hears Philip's army outside.
(c) Geoffrey pointedly comments that there is still Philip to consider.
(d) Philip shows up and reminds him.
3. What does Alais tell Henry to do about his sons?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Help them escape.
(c) Leave them there.
(d) Exile them.
4. What does Eleanor begin to sing?
(a) Another song.
(b) Her favorite song.
(c) The carol Alais was singing at the beginning of the scene.
(d) A song she had learned as a child.
5. What does Henry confess to Alais?
(a) He will split up his kingdom for each of them.
(b) He will kill them.
(c) He will not keep his sons trapped.
(d) He does not see himself as having a choice.
6. Geoffrey enters, saying that Richard is in a _________.
(a) Worried state.
(b) Room down the hall.
(c) Good mood.
7. Why does Henry tell Alais to go to bed?
(a) He realizes she is tired.
(b) He wants to be alone.
(c) He does not want to see her.
(d) He and Eleanor need to talk.
8. After negotiating use of land and horses, why does Richard say he never wrote?
(a) He cannot spell.
(b) He did not know what to say.
(c) He does not trust Philip.
(d) He did not think Philip would answer.
9. About what does John talk as he leaves?
(a) How Richard will make a poor king.
(b) How he is tired of waiting to learn if he will be king.
(c) How he is king again.
(d) How he wishes he could be king.
10. How does Henry describe himself?
(a) As a master of the arts.
(b) As the king of kings.
(c) As the king of queens.
(d) As a master bastard.
11. Henry speaks lovingly to Alais, and then as Eleanor watches, what does he do?
(a) He kisses her passionately.
(b) He turns and kisses Eleanor.
(c) He tells Alais to leave.
(d) He tells Alais he was only pretending to love her.
12. To what does Richard challenge Henry?
(a) A game of chess.
(b) A jousting tournament.
(d) A duel.
13. What does Eleanor say to Alais?
(a) Tthey can talk behind Henry's back, briefly recounting what happened in Philip's bedroom.
(b) She does not like Alais.
(c) She does not want to talk about Henry behind his back.
(d) They should not be seen together.
14. What does Richard say is the only thing he wants from Henry?
(a) His crown.
(b) His head.
(c) His money.
(d) His affection.
15. Richard enters, complaining about what?
(a) How he does not like himself.
(b) How he is in love with Alais.
(c) How he would never want to be king.
(d) How they are all Henry's prisoners.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Henry taunt Philip?
2. What does Henry say that he will give Eleanor if she gives him the Aquitaine?
3. When Alais asks whether she ever really loved Henry, particularly before Rosamund came into his life, how does Eleanor respond?
4. When Richard says he never writes anyone, what does Philip do?
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 6 take place?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)